PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The purpose of this job is to support the underwriting activities via the creation and maintenance of departmental process and procedures within the Commercial Multi-Peril (CMP) ecosystem. This role exists so that processing, data entry, policy issuance, and underwriting support are consistent across all lines of business and departments.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Establishes operating policies and monitors underwriting operations to ensure coordination, efficiency, and consistency between departments.
- Establishes underwriting processes and procedures aligned with departmental vision, strategy, and systems.
- Ensures consistent procedures are followed, processing and analysis are accurate and thorough, and all deadlines are met.
- Audits workflow processes across departments and locations and revises or creates new workflows that improve delivery of underwriting support services.
- Regularly reviews and revises as necessary, department standards for timely policy issuance and endorsement processing.
- Creates tactics for maintaining low error rates in policy processing.
- Establishes training standards and programs for procedures and systems including how to set up and manage policy files manually and how to interpret and analyze policy and/or account documentation.
- Acts as a liaison between departments and business units to help identify efficiencies between operational co-dependencies and promote economies of scale.
Creates a working environment that provides for an exceptional customer experience.
- Develops an on-boarding program for new Team Members to create a sustainable culture of exceptional customer experience for both internal and external customers.
- Works with underwriting and support staff to analyze data and develop training, programs, and processes that focus on continuous improvement of the customer and underwriting experience.
- Partners with underwriting leadership to monitor delinquencies in existing processes and procedures and works towards improvement to ascertain the best solution is in place.
Champions the work of CMP underwriting support activities that are fully aligned with the vision and strategy.
- Serves as the final authority for policy processing questions for agents, brokers, insured, and other Company departments.
- Answers third level escalated customer inquiries and investigates and resolves issues and complaints.
- Facilitates understanding of the need for discipline around timely and accurate submission of documentation and information.
- Works closely with underwriting to resolve customer inquiries regarding aspects of the policy or its life cycle as an ICW policyholder.
This role does not have supervisory responsibilities but may train and mentor team members.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university preferred with a major or emphasis in Business Administration, Management, or related field. Minimum 4 years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience required. Previous experience creating operational processes and procedures a plus.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Working knowledge of insurance underwriting concepts and principles. Ability to train and mentor teams. Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs including Excel, Word, and Outlook. Ability to learn the quote pricing program and the policy processing program. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. Critical thinking skills, detail-orientation, and ability to problem solve.
Office environment – no specific or unusual physical or environmental demands and employees are regularly required to sit, walk, stand, talk, and hear.
This position operates in an office environment and requires the frequent use of a computer, telephone, copier, and other standard office equipment.