Underwriting Officer, Middle Market
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession. We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more, please visit https://www.libertymutualgroup.com/about-lm/careers/benefits
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. We have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
Advance your career at Liberty Mutual Insurance - A Fortune 100 Company!!
Are you ready to join a dynamic organization?
We are looking for an outstanding leader. As an Underwriting Officer, you will apply advanced underwriting knowledge and expertise to drive quality decision-making on risk selection, terms and conditions, and pricing to drive execution to operational and financial objectives. You will share technical and market expertise through consultative support, training, and audits across lines within National Insurance. We are seeking a hardworking individual who will help develop a strong underwriting culture with holistic account decisions built on a foundation of strong line expertise, confidence of judgment, and deal orientation. This role shares responsibility with underwriting management for profitable growth of the book of business.
- Execute the segment strategy for a division to attain profit, quality, growth, multi-line diversification, and operational objectives by providing transactional support and technical guidance throughout the underwriting process, including exercising decision-making authority on risk selection, pricing, and terms and conditions for the largest and most complex accounts within the portfolio. Maintain the highest underwriting authority level.
- Ensure an underwriting culture of holistic thinking about risk evaluation, pricing, and demonstrate market knowledge and experience to help underwriters position in market to select and win profitable accounts.
- Develop state strategies based on a strong understanding of unique market dynamics and underwriting challenges.
- Act as a technical subject matter authority within multiple lines of business (Worker's Compensation, Auto, General Liability, Property, and/or Umbrella) to drive the development of underwriting strategy and underwriting guidelines
- Purposefully identify training needs and partner with internal leaders to develop and deliver needed training to build an outstanding underwriting organization with technical knowledge, consultative sales capabilities, and expertise across the multitude of industries.
- Conduct quality assurance reviews to identify adherence to guidelines and strategies, as well as training and development opportunities.
- Provide technical expertise/knowledge to assigned projects/initiatives.
- Advanced knowledge of insurance products/coverage, market segment and marketplace: insurance, finance and actuarial concepts; loss control/risk engineering; marketing/selling techniques, regulatory environment and reinsurance. A leading authority on pricing, risk selection and territory management.
- Confirmed ability to effectively work with brokers, underwriters, and internal departments to build and maintain positive and productive relationships.
- Recognized ability to apply underwriting/appetite, tools, systems, and resources to achieve goals, decipher complex problems, exceeds in mentoring relationships and negotiate.
- Bachelor's degree, 10+ years of commercial lines underwriting