Middle Market Senior Underwriter, Global Risk Solutions
Our middle market underwriters focus on answering two fundamental questions. Should we write a policy for a particular customer? What is a fair price for the risk that we would incur by writing the policy? On the surface, these questions may seem straightforward, but as a Liberty Mutual Insurance underwriter, you will possess a curiosity that propels you to dig a little deeper for the answers. You will rely on your strong analytic, communication, and negotiation skills and thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment. Middle Market Underwriters are natural problem solvers who want to know our customers and how we can profitably accept the risks that our policies cover.
Middle Market Underwriters are responsible for developing, growing, and maintaining a profitable, diversified book of business through marketing, underwriting decision making, building mutually beneficial agent/brokers relationships and establishing a marker-facing leadership presence, and application of underwriting tools, systems, and expert resources. Guides/mentors less experienced underwriters in their respective area of expertise, including regular employee coaching with feedback to the manager on progress of the employee.
- Risk Selection: Reviews, rates, underwrites, evaluates, or assesses the business applying for insurance by qualifying accounts, identifying, selecting and assessing risks, determining the premium, policy terms and conditions, obtaining approvals, creating/presenting the proposal to the agent/broker, and successfully negotiating deals.
- Agent/Broker Relationships: Demonstrates a high level of responsiveness and focus on supporting Agents and Brokers objectives. Establishes, develops, and maintains successful relationships with Agents and Brokers to facilitate marketing of products, through responsive service, site visits, in person renewal meetings or enhanced knowledge of their customers businesses. Develops strong personal brand to build and maintain a long term quality pipeline with Agents/Brokers.
- Portfolio Management: Manages a book of business by analyzing the portfolio, identifying areas of opportunity for improved growth, profit and diversification, and executing marketing plans to increase market share by attending and making marketing calls to brokers to market and cross market.
- Documenting the Deal: Documents files in a way that reflects a solid thought process and decision making through comprehensive account reviews, sign-offs and referrals that comply with state regulations, letter of authority, and underwriting guidelines.
- Leadership: Formally and informally guides, mentors, and coaches underwriters and account analysts in both technical and professional skills.
- Continuous Improvement: Actively participates in continuous improvement by participating in problem solving activities and using continuous improvement tools to support the work of the team.
- Bachelor's degree
- Four to seven years of relevant experience preferred; CPCU or professional insurance designation preferred.
- Intermediate-level knowledge of insurance products/coverage, knowledge of underwriting, pricing, risk selection, market segments and marketplace;
- Insurance finance and actuarial concepts; loss control/risk engineering; marketing techniques, regulatory environment and reinsurance; advanced-level knowledge of territory management.
- Ability to apply underwriting/appetite, tools, systems, and resources to achieve goals, solve complex problems, establish and build healthy working relationships, participate in mentoring relationships, and negotiate
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT onIDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.