Principal Data Solutions Analyst
National Insurance Pricing is looking to diversify the Casualty team to advance the needs of the enterprise by providing, building and maintaining prototype data solutions. This role will work with the actuaries to advance the coding and efficiency of the team and ensure the solutions can be scaled appropriately. In this position, you will own the SAS code underlying rate indications as well as other actuarial analyses, and the initial data preparation for the pricing & predictive models. You will oversee coding best practices across the team, and aid in building up skillsets in R and Python. There is the potential to build out this expertise and aid in converting excel based applications into more functional and deployable code in both R and Python. You will mentor other non-coding experts to help bring them to basic proficiency and improve the efficiency of the team. You will become the subject matter expert in the data flows across National Insurance that support the pricing team and provide thought leadership along with the actuaries, analytics and IT partners. Successful candidates need to collaborate with technology partners to implement new models and influence the most efficient deployment approaches. This position requires a highly organized, self-motivated individual with strong technical as well as verbal and written communication skills. Background in actuarial concepts is a plus.
- Under minimal direction, prototypes data solutions of high complexity to meet the needs of the NI Pricing organization
- Designs proof-of-concept solutions utilizing a comprehensive understanding of multiple coding languages to meet technical and business requirements, with an ability to perform iterative solution testing to ensure specifications are met. Also take these proof-of-concepts to full production within pricing, and deployment ready for IT.
- Act as technical leader and mentor to actuarial group
- Designs and develops data solutions that enable effective self-service data consumption and can describe their value to the customer.
- Collaborates with stakeholders in defining metrics that are impactful to the business & prioritizes efforts based on customer value.
- Has a comprehensive understanding of Agile techniques. Can set expectations for deliverables of high complexity. Works with IT to help scale prototypes if applicable.
- Maintains proof-of-concepts, protype or sustainable solutions, and handles any assessment of their viability and scalability, with partnership from IT. Working with IT and/or actuarial, assists in building robust systems focusing on long-term and ongoing maintenance and support.
- Ensure data solutions include deliverables required to achieve high quality data to support actuarial analytics.
- Displays a working understanding of complex multi-tier, multi-platform systems, and applies principles of metadata, lineage, business definitions, compliance, and data security to project work.
- Demonstrates a strong understanding of new technologies as needed to progress initiatives
- Assist in some analysis to better understand the data and supporting actuarial and business needs.
- Adapts tools to unfamiliar or unique situations
Note: this is a range posting. The level will be determined based on experience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills required
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related discipline preferred
- Masters in same or related discipline strongly preferred
- 5-7 years experience in coding and understanding of data management, data warehousing, or other data environments, including but not limited to, working in NoSQL implementation, ETL, scripting languages (SAS, SQL, Python, R) and the Hadoop stack
- Background in actuarial concepts is a plus
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession. We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more, please visit https://www.libertymutualgroup.com/about-lm/careers/benefits
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list.
We have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.