Director, Platform Engineering-Arity
The world isnt standing still, and neither is Allstate. Were moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers evolving needs. Thats why now is an exciting time to join our team. As a leader in a corporation with 83,000 employees and agency force members, youll have a hand in transforming not only Allstate but a dynamic industry. Youll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
Youll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from lifes uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For 89 years weve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatevers coming next to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. Weve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We dont follow the trends. We set them.
At Arity, our platform capabilities are at the core of what we do, powering live telematics connections and the collection of billions of miles of driving data. As the Director of Platform Engineering, you will report to the CTO/VP of Engineering and help define and support our platform strategy. You will lead the engineering teams that develop our cloud and infrastructure systems. Your team will be responsible for the delivery of those solutions that interact with internal/external customers, and accurately collect/ingest/process data from edge devices, and third-party data providers. The ideal candidate will combine excellent technical and business skills to translate needs into value creation for our customers, taking our current products beyond what have today. You will lead with empathy and be bold in doing what best serves our customers. Engineering is a part of our company; we are not an island. You will ensure that we continue to collaborate and work with the other groups and leaders in the company to deliver our best products and services. You will lead the team but always remember that you are here to serve them, and not the other way around.Responsibilities
- Provide hands on leadership in the design and development of cloud/on-prem/hybrid platforms that optimize our cost while delivering advanced features
- Help the CTO/VP Engineering develop a strategic vision that can accommodate the migration of a wide variety of technology assets to multiple solution providers
- Support the engineering organization by providing timely and accurate updates on systems and progress
- Work with a locally distributed and international team
- Serve as a senior and trusted leader for technology and business partners helping to drive decision making and delivery
- Continuous development and delivery of enhancements, new features and capabilities
- Enforce an environment that supports quality with careful code architecture, and an organization built around rapid releases
- Champion engineering best practices, including Agile methodology and Scrum framework; but also recognizing when there is a better way of doing things
- Determine resource needs, develop plans and track progress to those plans; resolve conflicts to ensure timely delivery of features
- Develop the team by hiring, mentoring, motivating and recognizing team members
- Has oversight for Aritys cloud environment including financial, production, research, and operations
- Support and implement security standards that protect the data of our customers
- Correlate Aritys business priorities with our technology value to steer our platform roadmaps
- Partner with business leaders, technology leaders, and other stakeholders to champion platform engineering related projects/initiatives that meet strategic and business objectives
- Bringing the best version of you every day; and bring that out of others you interact with
- 10+ years of experience in a software engineering leadership role, managing other leaders and individual contributors
- A proven portfolio and hands on experience with large cloud providers (AWS/GCP/Azure) and on-prem architecture
- Solid presentation and communication skills
- Experience and track record of building and managing high performing engineering teams
- Knowledge of cloud architecture best practices
- Working knowledge of Agile/Scrum (other methodologies and frameworks are a plus)
- Minimum requirement of bachelors degree in Engineering, or Computer Science
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click here for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click here for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the EEO is the Law poster click here. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click here. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Companys policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employees ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.