Underwriting Specialist, Construction
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession. We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more, please visit https://www.libertymutualgroup.com/about-lm/careers/benefits
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list.
We have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
We are focused on building our Construction team! Join our dedicated specialty underwriter group and own your territory! Liberty Mutual National Insurance Specialty Construction handles Middle Market to National Account-sized Construction business sharing specialized knowledge of construction and risk management with our agents and brokers. We foster underwriter judgment and emphasize local decision making. It's an excellent opportunity for a talented commercial insurance underwriter with construction expertise, confidence and deal orientation.
- Develop and maintain highly effective business relationships with assigned agents and brokers in order to attract, develop/grow and retain profitable business in your assigned territory.
- Evaluates a prospect's/renewal's financial standing, operational strategy, and industry trends to determine whether to proceed with the account, and if so, under what terms and conditions.
- Performs a hazard analysis by combining knowledge and experience with available information on the prospect's/renewal's and its industry, and where appropriate, collaborates with experienced underwriters and other departments to evaluate a prospect's/renewal's potential exposure to loss.
- Applies understanding of insurance with the hazards identified for the customer to assess the customer/broker request and determine acceptable coverage grants by line of business that address the customer's critical insurance and service needs.
- Using assessments of the prospect's/renewal's operations and anticipated hazards, losses (primary & excess), and expenses (service requirements), applies knowledge of pricing tools, manual rates, rating plans, and reinsurance, develops a price for each coverage and rating plan option under consideration that meets or exceeds target returns, and has accountability and ownership of account pricing recommendations.
- Given the customer/broker request, the hazard, coverage, and loss analyses, and the competitive situation, recommends program structures (coverage, limits/retention, rating plan/pricing, and billing combinations) achieving desired Business Unit goals, including long term profitability.
- Completes all required steps on documentation and account management.
Communicate and collaborate across the organization- such as Claims, Product Management, Loss Control, Legal, Credit, Distribution, and Production-- to provide solutions/recommendations and achieve organizational success.
- The ideal candidate is a highly knowledgeable and disciplined underwriter with experience managing construction risks and a track record of growing a book of business that performs well over the long term.
- Excellent knowledge of commercial insurance coverages, contracts and underwriting guidelines as normally acquired and a related bachelors degree eight to ten years of commercial lines underwriting experience preferred
- Ability to make good business decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment.
- Strong communication and influencing skills to build immediate credibility, both internally and externally; an ability to present effectively to a wide range of audiences
- Ability to negotiate skillfully in tough situations; gains trust of others and has a good sense of timing
- Insurance specific designations (e.g. CPCU, CRIS) desired