Director of Claims
Reporting to the Acting Executive Director/Chief Executive Officer, the Director of Claims provides strategic direction and leadership for NYSIF’s Workers’ Compensation (WC) Claims function. As an Executive team member, this role will be key to developing and executing strategic plans to meet NYSIF’s business objectives.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manages all aspects of NYSIF’s WC Claim function through strategic direction and leadership that generates positive health outcomes for claimants, positive claim outcomes for policyholders and excellent service to our customers.
- Attracts, coaches and develops talent within the WC Claim function such that the objectives of the Claim organization are executed. Provides frequent and specific constructive feedback to staff. Provides technical advice, direction and mentoring to Claims staff.
- Provides strategic direction and leadership in the management of large, complex claims and litigation management. Collaborates with NYSIF legal, outside counsel and other resources when required to successfully execute these duties.
- Through the use of metrics and data, monitors and analyzes organizational performance. Drives change to assure continuous improvement and increased efficiencies. Identifies and implements strategies to reduce total claim cost and optimize profitability.
- Communicates claim developments/trends to Executive Director/CEO and senior management team. Provides claims expertise to the senior management team including, but not limited to, claim developments and trends within the Workers Compensation insurance industry.
- Works in a collaborative manner with Underwriting, Actuarial, and Analytics teams regarding claim issues, or trends, that may impact the business.
- Will oversee, and may participate in, claim reviews, or other valued added services applicable to individual accounts.
- Establishes and executes a quality control process to ensure established WC Claim practices and procedures are being executed at the highest level.
- Establishes and manages the claim department budget and resources including explaining variances and related reporting.
- Bachelor's degree with emphasis in Business, Insurance or related field required
- 10 plus years’ experience in Workers’ Compensation Claims leadership preferred
- Demonstrated ability in the use of metrics and data to drive and assure continuous improvement and increased efficiencies required
Primary Location: Albany or New York City
Schedule: Monday - Friday
The New York State Insurance Fund (NYSIF) was established in 1914 as part of the original enactment of the New York State Workers’ Compensation Law. NYSIF's mission is to guarantee the availability of workers’ compensation insurance at the lowest possible cost to New York employers and to provide timely, appropriate indemnity and medical payments to injured workers, while maintaining a solvent fund. Since inception, NYSIF has fulfilled the dual roles for which it was created: to compete with other carriers to ensure a fair market place and to be a guaranteed source of coverage for employers who cannot secure coverage elsewhere.
NYSIF is the largest workers’ compensation carrier in New York State and among the top 10 largest workers’ compensation carriers in the nation, insuring approximately 150,000 policyholders, with more than $2 billion in annual premium and $20 billion in assets. A self-supporting insurance carrier, NYSIF operates without taxpayer funding.
In addition to workers’ compensation insurance, NYSIF provides disability benefits coverage for off-the-job injuries to more than 60,000 New York employers. In 2018, NYSIF added Paid Family leave as a component of its disability benefits product, providing New Yorkers with job-protected, paid time away from work to care for their families.
Please note the following New York State Civil Service employment information:
- Jurisdictional classification: Exempt
- Bargaining unit: M/C
- Civil Service title: Deputy Director
Apply for Director of Claims
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly