Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryTravelers Network Engineering group within Infrastructure & Cloud Services (ICS) organization is seeking a leader for the Wide Area Network (WAN) group. The leader of this area will be responsible for managing the team that supports connectivity for Travelers field offices, data centers, core internet, offshore locations, business to business partners, intercorporate connections and cloud services. Software Defined WAN is one of the innovative modern capabilities deployed to field offices and there is increased focus to continue strengthening capabilities that the solution offers. The WAN team is also closely aligned with Cloud adoption initiatives and there are strategic plans that need oversight and support to implement the connectivity solution leveraging a cloud aggregator.
This position plans at a strategic level and manages the effective use of team resources. Leads team of engineers to design, develop, maintain, and implement large-scale, highly complex network solutions supporting the business. Influences business and technology leaders on strategic technical direction enabling sound decision-making.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for advising, supervising, and delegating tasks for a team of Network engineers.
- Responsible for leading the delivery and execution of solutions to challenging and multifaceted engineering problems.
- Plans and directs all aspects of the organization, including financial/budgetary oversight, management of products and service delivery
- Responsible for fulfilling IT audits for respective technologies. Ensures team compliance with IT standards, policies, and governance.
- Leads the coordination of resolution of complex topics. Interacts with vendors and handles escalations for product area.
- Responsible for communicating status, strategic direction, and results of assigned work.
- Provides human resources management, including coaching, performance management, team development and growth, and workforce planning
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive work experience in the technology space and a minimum of 4 years of people management experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- 9 years of progressive work experience in the technology space preferred.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience preferred.
- Leadership experience preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
Technical knowledge: Core Network and WAN technologies, transport methodologies
- Able to demonstrate technical expertise for multiple engineering disciplines.
- Has solid working knowledge of capabilities and direction of various technologies ex. (Cloud, SDN, Automation).
- Able to understand market and industry trends within related technical domains.
- Possesses strong analytical skills in order to effectively influence recommendations and decision-making, assess impacts, compare solutions, problem solve, and achieve business and/or technical objectives.
- Fully understands how overall responsibilities fit within broader technical environment and has strong ability to influence technology recommendations for the organization.
- Strong written and oral communication at all levels, both internally and externally.
- Expert presentation skills used to influence decisions of leaders.
Business knowledge and partnership:
- Able to demonstrate in-depth understanding of business and financial acumen.
- Able to actively influence customers and business partners to solve problems and ensures products and services are utilized effectively and efficiently.
- Able to provide solutions tailored to meet business objectives.
- As a change agent, leads and welcomes innovative ideas and drives continuous improvement, process improvement, and service optimization.
- Able to lead effective partnerships across the organization and is able to influence Senior Management, peers and subordinates through an inclusive style and recognition of their abilities and knowledge.
- Able to balance organizational, team, and individual responsibilities. Leads team to be more balanced and be effective.
- Able to exhibit object leadership and openness to other views.
- Gives and welcomes feedback.
- Able to put success of organization and team above own interest.
- Accountable to drive cross-functional objectives and priorities and help form a vision for the future.
- Able to effectively influence across multiple teams, leaders, organizations, and/or enterprise.
- Able to demonstrate the thought leadership necessary to set broad technical direction and is able to communicate/articulate a clear vision.
- Able to exhibit the skills needed to be a technical and process leader within the organization, independently resolves conflicts, and develops relationships outside the broader organization.
- Able to exhibit team leadership, provides guidance, feedback and coaching to direct reports.
- Strong ability to influence upward and lead others into 'new' ways of doing things.
- Responsible for building and inspiring a fully functioning team, proactively takes initiative to improve team and set high expectations.
- Able to provide leadership for functional objectives and priorities across multiple technologies, platforms and teams.
- Supports management decisions and acts as a change champion.
- Should be well-versed in how budgets and chargebacks operate as related to designated technology
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.