Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryThe Bond & Specialty Insurance Finance Department is looking for a self-motivated Senior Financial Consultant to provide support for our Financial Data Management group. This includes supporting business and financial applications, as well as downstream system feeds and external reporting. This position requires working closely with our Application Business Analysts, IT Development, Project Management, Quality Assurance (QA) teams as well as business partners.
This individual will be expected to become an expert in transactional financial data for Bond & Specialty Insurance front-end systems, financial applications and system feeds.
Under Moderate Supervision, responsible for conducting and documenting complex financial analysis projects/assignments. Position does not manage others, but may serve as a team lead. Team Lead: Directs daily work activities of a small group of employees. Works with higher level manager to set goals/objectives and provides input regarding performance of employees being led. Moderate Supervision: Incumbent performs standard and routine assignments independently to conclusion; unusual problems which may require exceptions to procedures or processes to set priorities and meet specific goals and objectives of the function or unit.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Together with the Financial Data Management team, support the Financial Control Test (FCT) process to ensure all premium data is complete and accurate prior to system releases. This includes oversight of execution and creation as well as checking out financial records and data driven processes.
- Participate in the system release process to analyze and understand the downstream data test requirements for new functionality being introduced with each release.
- Function as a Business Analyst for Finance sponsored projects and system initiatives. This includes writing business and functional requirements as well as participating in all phases of testing and implementation.
- Build close working relationships with Business Sponsors, Application Business Analysts, Project Management, QA and IT staff.
- Support transactional processing which includes production support as well as system enhancements and external reporting.
- Develop procedures and training materials in support of Financial Data Management.
- Synthesize and present exhibits, results, observations, recommendations to direct manager, team members and/or cross functional peers.
- Apply basic accounting and financial concepts and controls to provide input on the development, implementation or enhancement of financial, operations and business applications.
- Perform financial controls in accordance with Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 2 years of related experience.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor's degree in finance or accounting preferred.
- Typically 3-4 years of related experience.
- General knowledge of Financial Analysis concepts and processes.
- General Knowledge: Possesses sufficient knowledge to perform most work in normal situations.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- General knowledge of the insurance business.
- Intermediate analytic skills.
- General knowledge of accounting practices and principles.
- Intermediate data utilization skills to access and gather data, including a basic understanding of what the data represents.
- Intermediate written and verbal communication skills.
- Intermediate time management/ prioritization skills.
- Intermediate ability to solve problems and suggest solutions to problems.
- Takes responsibility for decisions and actions.
- Intermediate working knowledge of Microsoft Office (e.g. Excel, Word, Outlook).
- Intermediate project management skills.
- Ability to identify customers needs and take appropriate action to meet those needs.
- Ability to work well in tight timeframes and deadlines.
- Intermediate skill/competency level: demonstrates solid knowledge and ability; can apply the competency with minimal or no guidance, in the full range of typical situations. Requires guidance handling novel or more complex situations.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.