Principal Software Engineer- PL Products Tech
If you're a curious learner who wants to develop customer-centric products from idea to production within small, empowered, agile teams, join our tech team. As an experienced Output Software Engineer (Senior or Principal), you will be aligned to a squad (Agile team) with a primary focus to maintain legacy programs which support the existing book of business while participating in a future consolidation movement to increase speed to market and lower cost to drive profitability and growth for Liberty Mutual.
The insurance industry is complex, and we need a passionate, analytical technology professional to help our teams navigate through those complexities. Liberty Mutual is looking for someone who thrives within a highly collaborative environment, values speed and quality, with a strong desire to drive change, as we continue our agile and cloud transformational journey.
The work we do is at the foundation of everything in GRM US. There is an exciting mix of mature systems, cloud-native applications in production and active development, and many areas ripe for creative problem solving.
The Output Platform is a key component to the policy lifecycle where policy data is translated and sent downstream to be used in publishing, statistical reporting, financial reporting and more. As we continue to make modernization a priority in Product, you would also be involved with other Engineers in conversations and planning around the future of both Output towards our One Product Enablement efforts.
This is a grade range posting for a Senior Software Engineer Grade 16 or Principal Software Engineer Grade 17.
In this role, you would:
- Act as a software leader to support and guide the support of Mission and Compliance requests as well as modernization efforts off our legacy Tuxedo stack, transitioning to modern architectures and frameworks while experimenting with newer technologies and tools.
- Support department-wide technical vision dialogs along with peer software engineers, Solutions Engineers and Architects.
- Collaborate with development teams and architects experienced with these newer technologies to ensure solution alignment with technical architecture, business plans and long-term strategy.
- Partner with the Product Owner(s) to develop and continually refine a roadmap that drives technology modernization alongside supporting key business priorities.
- Advocate for the adoption of the domain's offerings across the GRM US business and technology communities while frequently gathering customer feedback.
- Assist and guide the development of the system, technical and product standards based on business plan and vision.
- Propose improvements to increase process efficiency and effectiveness, providing input to major architectural designs to ensure consistency, security, maintainability and flexibility with respect to overall system, technical and product architectures within a domain or portfolio.
- Continually enhance full delivery pipeline through automation, expanded yet increasingly efficient test coverage, ultimately optimizing time-to-market and quality.
- Plans and manages execution of architecture migrations.
- Support aligned team(s) with challenging or critical production support work as required.
- Deliver artifacts, technical alternative documents and architectural designs that meet business requirements.
- Oversee design reviews and frameworks.
- Contribute to decisions that impact profitability and operational effectiveness.
- Bachelor`s or Master`s degree in technical or business discipline or equivalent experience.
- 7+ years of related software engineering experience
- Experience working with Agile methodologies (Scrum, Kanban, XP) and cross-functional teams (Product Owners, Scrum Masters, Engineers, Designers, Business Analysts).
- Experience with Oracle Tuxedo, IBM's BPM or ODM is a plus
- In-depth knowledge of IT concepts, strategies and methodologies.
- In-depth knowledge of diverse and emerging technologies and new architectural concepts and principles.
- Knowledgeable in software engineering languages and tools; proficient in new and emerging technologies.
- In-depth understanding of layered solutions and designs; in-depth understanding of shared software concepts and product features, as well as security minded.
- In-depth knowledge of business operations, objectives and strategies; in-depth understanding of global business and technology trends and the financial services industry.
- Highly developed negotiation, consensus building & influencing skills, facilitation and the adaptability to respond to change quickly.
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills; strong presentation skills.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with all levels of the organization.
- High proficiency with web / microservice design and engineering principles.
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a “Great Place to Work” by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the “100 Best Places to Work in IT” onIDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduates—as well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.