Principal/Senior Data Engineer
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession. We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more, please visit https://www.libertymutualgroup.com/about-lm/careers/benefits
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a “Great Place to Work” by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the “100 Best Places to Work in IT” on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list.
We have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduates—as well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local l
Principal/Senior Data Engineer
At Liberty Mutual, technology isn't just a part of our business, it's what drives us forward. We deliver our customers peace of mind every day by helping them protect what they value most. Our passion for placing the customer at the center of everything we do is driving a transformational shift at Liberty Mutual. Operating as an Agile team within a Fortune 100 company, we are on the front edge of an IT transformation for how people work and deliver solutions.
GRM Data and Analytics Engineering is actively searching for a highly productive member of a distributed, dynamic agile team to serve as a technical expert designing, developing, analyzing & testing innovative data warehouse reporting solutions. This Principal or Senior Data Engineer will join an energetic and engaged Business Data Solutions Engineering team focused on delivering exceptional value to our business partners. In this role, you will work collaboratively in an agile squad to design and build data pipelines & workflows, ingest, curate & provision data workflows in a Cloud-based environment as well as own responsibility of thorough end-to-end testing.
This is a fast-paced environment providing rapid delivery for our business partners. You will be working in a highly collaborative environment that values speed and quality, with a strong desire to drive change and foster a positive work environment. You will have the opportunity to help lead this change with us as we grow this culture, mindset and capability.
*Note: This is a range posting: open to considering candidates at the Principal or Senior Data Engineer level.
We encourage you to apply if this interests you:
- Work as ONE team committed to excellence
- Model and promote a “Data First” attitude
- Help advanceData Engineeringoperations into the future
- Work with a modern tech stack
In this role you will:
- Work in a dynamic and exciting agile environment with Scrum Masters, Product Owners, and team members to develop creative data-driven solutions with our ETL pipeline that meet business and technical initiatives
- Analyze, develop and execute data integration solutions, in order to manage the information lifecycle needs of an organization.
- Actively participates in and often leads peer development and code reviews within each Agile sprint, with focus on test driven development and Continuous Integration and Continuous Development (CICD).
- Designs and builds data provisioning workflows/pipelines, physical data schemas, extracts, data transformations, and data integrations and/or designs using ETL and API microservices
- Builds data architecture and applications that enable reporting, analytics, data science, and data management and improve accessibility, efficiency, governance, processing, and quality of data.
- Improve speed to market by focusing on current data needs as well as building out the long-term strategic data solutions using AWS, Snowflake, Snaplogic, SQL, Informatica, as well as other modern data technologies
- Design and develop programs and tools to support ingestion, curation and provisioning of complex enterprise data to achieve analytics, reporting, and data science
- Demonstrate open minded and collaborative approach to creating innovative technical solutions
- Continuously learn to maintain strong knowledge of technology enablers
- Mentor new and junior developers
- Provide successful deployment and provisioning of data solutions to production or other required environments.
- Analyze complex technical problems and is expected to recommend process improvements that address complex technology gaps within a single business process and improve data reliability, quality, and efficiency
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in technical or business discipline or equivalent experience, technical degree preferred.
- Generally, 5+ years of professional data engineering experience
- Highly proficient in data engineering languages and tools, and strong proficiency in general programming languages and frameworks; ability to develop on multiple platforms.
- Extensive understanding of agile data engineering concepts and processes, such as CICD, pipelines, and iterative development and deployments
- Demonstrated experience delivering data solutions via agile methodologies on AWS, S3, Athena, Snowflake, Snaplogic
- Requires critical thinking, data analysis, and data modeling experience (Data Vault experience a plus)
- Experience with ETL (Informatica) and knowledge of variety of data platforms
- Demonstrates leadership and active pursuit of optimizing data, CI/CD process and tools, testing frameworks & practices
- Must be proactive and self-driven, demonstrated initiative and be a logical thinker.
- Strong leadership, communication, collaboration skills with a track record of taking solution ownership
- Thorough knowledge in the following areas; commercial P&C insurance, general IT concepts, strategies and methodologies, thorough knowledge of new data architecture principles and concepts, thorough understanding of layered systems architectures, extensive knowledge of business operations, strategies and objectives.