Senior Actuarial Analyst/Actuary, North American Specialty Property
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a “Great Place to Work” by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the “100 Best Places to Work in IT” onIDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduates—as well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
Support the NAS US Property and Bermuda Property profit centers business profit, growth and operational objectives by performing advanced actuarial pricing analyses. The role will involve working closely with the Director, Actuary and Underwriters to understand drivers of business performance and develop appropriate portfolio level pricing strategies accordingly. Primary responsibilities include completing profitability reviews semi-annually, developing, maintaining and enhancing rating tools, and maintaining and extending a robust set of monitoring tools to assess the health of the business. Strong skill in or desire to learn analytical programming languages – chiefly R & SQL – will be key to success in the role. The successful candidate will possess strong analytical and communication skills, as well as a demonstrated ability to execute thoroughly in a collaborative environment.
- Portfolio analysis: in-depth reviews of the portfolio's composition and profitability
- Maintain and extend robust set of monitoring tools to assess the profitability of the business
- Rating models: maintenance and enhancement of existing models and development of new models as necessary
- Parameter studies: periodic data-driven reviews of pricing parameters
- Clear communication of results of actuarial analyses to underwriters, finance, management, and claims personnel
- Participation in discussions with lead Underwriters and Claims personnel regarding profitability and strategic direction
- Participation in the reinsurance placement process as necessary
- Responding to ad hoc analysis requests from Underwriting, Claims, and senior management
- Potential for 10% travel
- Proven math and analytical skills, as normally acquired through the pursuit of a bachelors degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Actuarial Science, or related field.
- Commitment to achieving Fellowship in the Casualty Actuarial Society.
- Passing grades on a minimum of 5 Casualty Actuarial Exams is required.
- Minimum 3-5 years relevant experience required
- Prior experience and solid knowledge of actuarial techniques and standards, as well as other business operations including financial, underwriting, legal, statistics, claims, sales, etc.
- Solid oral and written and presentation communication skills and ability to interact effectively within and outside the organization.
- Solid interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment as well as independently.
- Ability to motivate and mentor peers and motivate and train subordinates.
- Ability to exercise discretion, and apply independent judgment and well-developed critical thinking skills in execution of assignments and projects.
- Ability to balance multiple projects with minimal direction.
- Advanced computing skills (MS Office Excel, SAS, etc.); Ability to build models of moderate complexity.
- Demonstrated programming skills (such as R, SQL, VBA or Python) preferred.
The actual internal level/grade for this role will depend on the candidate's overall experience and skill level