PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The purpose of this job is to provide comprehensive reviews of the Company's IT processes, internal controls, and risk management practices to ensure the effectiveness and efficiency of operations, reliability, and integrity of financial and operational information, and safeguarding of assets. This position exists to perform and follow up on audits that generate recommendations to improve controls and processes, which will support the Company's goals of revenue growth.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Conducts IT related audits of Company departments, programs, or processes designed to ensure that an adequate internal control structure exists, risks are properly identified and managed, and process efficiency is improved.
- Prioritizes and schedules audit-work based on the audit plan and the needs of the Company.
- Evaluates and appraises the functions and processes of each area or program with an emphasis on risk exposure, internal controls, risk exposure, and process improvement.
- Designs and executes appropriate objectives, scope, and work programs for audits based upon review of documented procedures and discussions with departmental management and supervisory executives.
- Evaluates and appraises processes, policies, and procedures of each department or program to ensure they are comprehensive and appropriate.
- Prepares a written report on the findings of each audit with recommendations for new or changed policies, procedures, internal controls, and/or process improvements.
Provides compliance support for Company departments in the areas of risk exposure, internal controls, and process improvements.
- Ensures utilization of documented procedures within each department, assisting departments in development of written procedures, as necessary.
- Engages in mediation process with audited department as to implementation; refer irreconcilable recommendations to departmental management.
- Follows up on approved recommendations within scheduled time frames.
- Participates in process and internal control improvement initiatives.
Provides expertise, project management, and guidance both inside and outside the Internal Audit function.
- Serves as an IT audit specialist for integrated business audits.
- Reviews existing as well as new IT projects to ensure adequate risk management, internal controls, and compliance with regulatory authority.
- Assists with discrete risk evaluation and internal control functions as assigned.
- Participates in the development of the annual audit plan and internal audit risk assessment.
- Assists with the department's analytics and automation efforts.
Maintains current professional practice knowledge and educate constituencies.
- Participates in professional organizations relevant to the internal audit IT audit fields.
- Stays abreast of new technology related regulations and standards affecting the company and the insurance industry.
- Provides regular education about audit requirements, regulatory compliance, and process efficiency to customers and other constituencies as requested.
This role does not have supervisory responsibilities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university required with a major or emphasis in Computer Science, Information Systems, Finance, Accounting, Business, Insurance, or related field.
Minimum 1 – 3 years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Information Services Auditor (CISA) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA), or other internal audit related certifications are a plus.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical journals, financial reports, or legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to top management or other team members. Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Knowledge of IT general controls and internal audit standards required.
Office environment – no specific or unusual physical or environmental demands and employees are regularly required to sit, walk, stand, talk, and hear.
This position maps to the Individual Contributor level. Additional competencies required: Problem Solving & Decision Making and Technology Savvy
This position operates in an office environment and requires the frequent use of a computer, telephone, copier, and other standard office equipment.
This description is a general statement of essential job functions and responsibilities. The position may include other duties as assigned.