Trial Attorney - Providence, RI
The world isnt standing still, and neither is Allstate. Were moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers evolving needs. Thats why now is an exciting time to join our team. Youll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
Youll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from lifes uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For more than 89 years weve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatevers coming next to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. Weve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We dont follow the trends. We set them.Job Description
The Team (Job Description)
The Staff & Retained Counsel division represents policyholders in claims-related litigation/disputes through staff counsel offices throughout multiple states and, when appropriate, through the retention of outside law firms around the country. It also represents the company in a variety of litigation as well. This group is responsible for leading, coordinating and advancing Allstate's large nationwide staff counsel organization and the strategic management of the Claims panel of retained outside counsel. The Staff & Retained Counsel group works closely with our Claim Department as well as the company's regions to regularly assess both short and long-term strategic needs, direction and trends.
Represent clients who are customers of Allstate Insurance Company, Encompass, and Esurance (“the Company”) in the defense of bodily injury liability and property damage liability lawsuits. Represent the Company in the defense of certain uninsured/underinsured motorist claims. The Trial Attorney will conduct examinations under oath of claimants asserting claims against the Company under their insurance policies and, acquire broad knowledge of the Company, your business area's processes and procedures as well as best practices. The Trial Attorney will be primarily responsible for managing your assigned cases by acquiring, compiling and integrating case-related information and legal research, developing and implementing litigation strategies in cooperation with your clients and claims personnel, developing and implementing litigation tactics to obtain prompt resolution of claims, and achieving team objectives.Key Responsibilities
- Review new file assignments and approve initial pleadings, propounds discovery, and develop strategy
- Contact clients to discuss the case and answer any questions and maintain contact at a minimum of 90 days
- Contact claims (initial litigation plan, recurring minimum 90-day contact, strategy conferences, etc.)
- Review all documentary evidence
- Prepares witnesses and clients for depositions, arbitrations, mediations and trials including expert witnesses
- Conduct depositions and examinations under oath and prepares summary documents
- Prepare and conduct court appearances (matter management conferences, hearings, status conferences, etc.)
- Conduct settlement/dispositive proceedings (e.g. mediations, arbitrations, etc.)
- Try and/or arbitrate cases
- Prepare motions in liminie and summary documents
- Draft post-trial motions
- Prepare for and participate in appeals
- Provide legal opinions to claims clients
- Investigate and pursue subrogation litigation as appropriate
- Juris Doctorate degree and member in good standing of Rhode Island State Bar
- Up to ten years Insurance Defense, Personal Injury litigation experience
- Trial and/or Arbitration experience is preferred, with flexibility to work across several disciplines that may include insurance defense SIU, PIP, UM and Subrogation.
- Computer skills required; experience with Microsoft Office, Lexis, and the internet
- Ability to work well with others on a team of attorneys, paralegals, administrative assistants, supervised by an attorney Lead Counsel
- Must be able to handle a large caseload
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills are key to working with a variety of internal and external contacts as well as for preparing reports, pleadings, and correspondence, collaborating with others, etc. Will work independently as well as part of a cohesive team.
- Ability to travel
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary but thats just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, youll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.For a full description of Allstates benefits, visit allstate.jobs/benefits/
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click here for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click here for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the EEO is the Law poster click here. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click here. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Companys policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employees ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.