Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Underwriting & Pricing:
- Underwrites and assesses risk for routine, small to mid-size, renewals and new business items in conjunction with BU strategies. Makes appropriate decisions within own underwriting authority.
- Manages the submission and underwriting process for own agency plant, working with more experienced underwriters if outside authority.
- Is able to determine if an account is within or outside underwriting appetite/strategy.
- Makes recommendations to underwriter 2, as appropriate.
- Inputs financials and is able to calculate key ratios and draw conclusions about the general financial health of an account.
- Proactively collaborates with regional and Home Office underwriters.
- Maintains accurate underwriting documentation and information.
- Meets quality assurance standards.
- Underwriting Operations:
- Manages flow of new and renewal business.
- May be involved in complex non-premium bearing activities (e.g. renewal solicitation; troubleshooting billing/accounting issues, collections); is the resident go-.
- to person for underwriting systems and process questions.
- May process renewal transactions.
- Handles day-to-day business requests from agents.
- Agency Management/Relationship:
- May participate in agency training sessions.
- Primary agency relationship is CSR.
- Sales Management/Marketing:
- Identifies and captures new business opportunities via the renewal or submission process or by expanding existing relationships; may prospect for new relationships.
- Achieves and/or surpasses agency/broker sales goals.
- Develops relationships with key broker and agency staff.
- Executes on agency plant sales plan; may co-develop plan.
- Participates in Region and/or Business Unit sales meetings.
- May partner with colleagues in other Bond and Specialty Insurance or Travelers BUs to cross sell all Travelers products.
- Is able to utilize analytics and tools to assist in the sale and pricing (if applicable) of accounts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor degree or one year of relevant business experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor degree preferred.
- Typically has a minimum of 6 months to 3 years of experience.
- Industry Knowledge:
- Demonstrates a fundamental understanding of the local marketplace.
- Demonstrates an ability and desire to learn about Travelers and BU critical business issues and financial drivers.
- Product Knowledge:
- Working knowledge of BU products/coverages and pricing and the linkages to strategy.
- Understands organizational and regulatory rules, policies and procedures and effectively employs that knowledge in day-to-day work.
Licensing or Certificates
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Able to use all Bond and Specialty Insurance technology tools proficiently.
- Negotiates skillfully in routine situations.
- Gains the trust of others quickly.
- Takes ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes, performance and results.
- Identifies current or future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesizes and compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Remains energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Demonstrates effective verbal, written and listening communication skills.
- Provides service excellence to internal or external clients.
- Exercises sound judgment, makes decisions and commits to a position.
- Works with and includes people from different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and views those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals and objectives.
- Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Works together in situations when actions are interdependent and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result.
- Takes ideas different from own seriously; shares responsibility and collaborates with others; accepts criticism well; does not assume a single best way.
- Has an accurate picture of strengths and weaknesses and is willing to improve.
- Seeks out experiences that may change perspective or provide an opportunity to learn new things.
- Provides good role model for employees and keeps a positive attitude.
- Acts in accordance with stated values; follows through on promises; uses ethical considerations to guide decisions and actions.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Operates standard office equipment.
- Requires extended periods of computer use.
- Requires extended periods of sitting.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.