Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryTravelers is looking for a Data Engineer with experience in Databricks, AWS and Python to perform expert programing, configuring, and/or analysis for impactful and visible projects. Manages the effective use of line of business resources for implementation of ongoing projects, enhancements, initiatives and/or problem resolution. Acts as subject matter expert across multiple applications, systems and technologies, leveraging technical and business knowledge to drive the planning and execution of complex initiatives. Provides technical leadership on complex projects. Leads investigation and resolution efforts for critical, high impact problems and incidents. This job is a technical lead. This job does not lead others.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Manages the strategic plans and tactical activities for assigned information systems and business unit systems projects.
- Acts as subject matter expert across multiple applications, systems and technologies leveraging technical and business knowledge to drive the planning and execution of complex initiatives.
- Responsibilities include performing complex analysis, expert level design, configuration and programming functions for impactful and visible projects.
- Leads investigation and resolution efforts for critical, high impact problems, defects, and incidents.
- Contributes to staffing and project plan estimations in collaboration with the project manager and other key stakeholders.
- Assesses the technical viability of projects and objectives.
- Acts as a technology advocate and independently seeks opportunities where technology can be utilized to improve the business.
- Builds, maintains, and utilizes partnerships across the enterprise ensuring the best use of resources.
- Provides technical leadership, fosters a team environment, and provides mentorship and feedback to technical resources.
- Manages the effective use of line of business resources to implement ongoing projects, enhancements, initiatives, and/or problem resolution.
- Applies knowledge of current industry trends and techniques to formulate solutions within the context of assigned projects.
- Ensures project team's work complies with Travelers standards, processes, and protocols.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or its equivalent in work experience, and five years of programming/development experience.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- 7 years of programming/development experience preferred.
- Experience with Databricks, AWS, Python
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Technical Knowledge:
- Able to expertly assess, design, develop, configurate and support applications, systems solutions, and interfaces for multiple systems to achieve business and/ or technical requirements.
- Demonstrates technical mastery for technologies, applications, systems, frameworks, and/or languages and has the ability to influence and/or set technical direction or defect resolution.
- Fully understands business applications and/or technical system environments in which the system operates.
- Demonstrates proficiency in business concepts. Demonstrates expert knowledge of applications/systems and concepts.
- Able to evaluate and leverage pre-existing services and frameworks.
- Leverages enterprise and industry best practices and standards. Works to ensure component interactions follow and promote design best practices.
- Communication Skills:
- Ability to communicate thoughts/designs/ideas in an unambiguous manner and adjusts communication based on audience.
- Exhibits active and effective communication skills with team members - including active listening and effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Effectively contributes and communicates with the immediate team.
- Able to present complex technical concepts to audiences of varying size and level.
- Business Knowledge & Partnership:
- Able to develop and leverage business and/or vendor partnerships, consult on business priorities, and optimize value through solution identification aligned with business objectives, goals, and future technology direction.
- Able to easily communicate in business terms and describe IT capabilities/concepts in ways that the business can understand.
- Problem Solving & Decision Making:
- Able to expertly diagnose root causes, solve complex problems, and collaborate effectively with business and technical teams.
- Able to break a problem down into manageable pieces, evaluate potential risks/alternatives, and implement effective, timely solutions.
- Carefully evaluates alternative risks and solutions before taking action including escalating situations as appropriate.
- Demonstrates sound decision making and problem resolution skills.
- Often consulted by team members for problem resolution and guidance.
- Has the ability to reach sound decisions quickly.
- Knows where to obtain information needed to make the appropriate decisions.
- Optimizes the use of all available resources.
- Strong understanding across Cloud and infrastructure components (server, storage, network, data, and applications) to deliver end to end Cloud Infrastructure architectures and designs.
- Experience with Cloud native application development, Cloud deployment, and Cloud application refactoring
- Understanding of Cloud Computing Technologies and related emerging technology (e.g. Amazon Web Services, EC2, Lambda, Glue, Athena, Snowflake, Databricks)
- Experience with one or more Data platforms (e.g.: Teradata, Hadoop, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2)
- Exposure to building data pipelines utilizing technologies and frameworks (Python, Scala, Java)
- Exposure to writing Shell/Perl scripts in LINUX, Power shell in Windows a plus
- Trusted technical advisor.
- Team Orientation:
- Able to promote, maintain, and enhance partnerships across the organization to achieve objectives and engage stakeholders.
- Able to influence project stakeholders and team members.
- Practices objectivity and openness to others' views.
- Able to recognize and support team priorities.
- Able to set and assign technical goals and priorities for self and team members.
- Exhibits team leadership.
- Able to set teams technical direction.
- Able to provide feedback and/or coaching regarding technical resources.
- Planning and Project Management
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.