Principal Risk Engineer, Specialty
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession. We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more, please visit https://www.libertymutualgroup.com/about-lm/careers/benefits
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a “Great Place to Work” by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the “100 Best Places to Work in IT” on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. We have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduates—as well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
Liberty Specialty Markets (LSM) offers specialty and commercial insurance and reinsurance products across key UK, European, Middle East, US & LATAM and other international locations. We provide brokers and insureds with a broad product range through both the Company and Lloyd's markets and have approximately 1,900 employees in approximately 60 offices around the world.
- Contribute to the development and review of global risk engineering strategy, and risk engineering policies and processes
- Partner with one or more lines of business, including attending meetings with underwriting management and inputting to decisions
- Working independently, plan, organise and perform desk-based risk appraisals for assigned line/s of business to provide risk analysis information to underwriters, and conduct on-site risk engineering surveys for existing and prospective clients as required by the business; produce and share both summary and detailed risk survey reports.
- Follow up on key recommendations and ensure risk engineering information on file is up to date.
- Provide technical input on claims, including reviewing reports and site visits to identify areas for claims mitigation and recommendations for improvement
- Support with business development and marketing of the products within the line of business where possible
- Maintain strong working relationships with managers and leaders within Underwriting, Claims and other functions
- Maintain a strong understanding of external market developments and trends and make recommendations for how these could be factored in to policies and processes
- Mentor, technically train and informally supervise the work of more junior colleagues; act as a point of escalation
- Bachelors of Science degree in a technical discipline, such as Chemical, Process, Electrical, Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Renewables Experience is preferred.
- 8+ years experience in relevant process industries and should have a background in at least one of the following areas in a managerial, technical or consultancy role; Operations, Maintenance, Process Engineering, Loss Prevention, Construction, Risk Management or Project Management.
- Experience within the insurance sector in related lines of business.
- Demonstrated strong communication skills in order to develop and maintain relationships with Underwriters, Risk Engineers, Claims teams, other Staff and Clients.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and communicate important technically related information within the Risk Engineering, Underwriting and Claims groups.
- Demonstrated ability in advance level research, evaluation and analysis.
- Strong marketing skills to participate in new/renewal business development.