Sr. User Experience Researcher, UX Measurement
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field cant be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. Youll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers lives. Well help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, youll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And youll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.Job Family Summary
The User Experience Research team is part of the Creative UX (CrUX) group within Marketing, Innovation & Corporate Brand at Allstate. CrUX is a multi-disciplinary services group made up of UX researchers, UX architects, visual designers, content strategists, product designers, and design program managers who apply their experience design expertise to deliver world-class experiences with a user-centered design approach that differentiates Allstate, is hard to duplicate, and drives customer loyalty.
There are a variety of focus areas on the UX Research team at Allstate, spanning descriptive, generative, and evaluative research supporting both consumer and employee-facing strategic initiatives including direct-to-consumer sales and digital self-service, claims, the mobile app, call center service, AI, conversation design, and innovation and product strategy.Job Summary
Do you enjoy the evaluative side of user research? Do you have a passion for meaningful measurements and finding creative ways of getting them? Have you ever grappled with the concept of “ROI” when it comes to UX, or thought about how to demonstrate the impact of UX on business outcomes? Does sound experimental design ignite your analytical brain?
This unique role on the user experience research team will be dedicated to governance and betterment of the user experience through field evaluation and measurement of the bottom line: How well Allstate's new consumer-focused sales and account management platform is serving our end users—and how well those user experiences are serving Allstate's business goals.
The Sr. UX Researcher, UX measurement will be establishing a programmatic approach to evaluation and measurement of Allstate's new consumer engagement and management ecosystem; as such, there is significant creative, strategic, leadership, and growth potential for the right candidate.
All positions at Allstate will remain fully remote until at least July of 2021, and must be within commuting distance of one of Allstate's talent centers after that. A business determination has yet to be made as to which positions will remain fully remote, which will return to the office, and which will become “hybrid.” This role will be reporting to Allstate's primary talent center located in Northbrook, IL, but applicants within commuting distance of another Allstate talent center (Chicago, IL; Irving, TX; Tempe AZ, or Charlotte NC) may also be considered.Key Responsibilities
- Work with stakeholders in customer experience, business, product management, and UX design to understand the experiential and business goals for Allstate's digitally transformed customer engagement and management ecosystem.
- Identify and develop hypotheses for which quantifiable experience metrics impact those goals.
- Within the product development life cycle, apply an experimental approach to pinpoint which user insights, if collected from user interactions with the developed experiences, features, and components, could reveal a causal impact (positive/negative) of design on experiential and business goals.
- Create data collection strategies (via design experimentation, task-based usability testing, log analysis, observations, and surveys) to uncover the successes, failures, and gaps of those developed experiences, features, and components toward meeting experiential and business goals.
- Partner with experts in experimental design and data science to help identify instrumentation gaps in the digital tracking of experience data and analytics.
- Conduct parallel research on competitor experiences to contextualize and challenge Allstate's new customer sales and account management experience.
- Gather and analyze the data and identify appropriate deliverable formats for sharing findings, recommendations, and next steps (e.g. from development fixes to design iteration insights to new use cases, unmet needs, and opportunities for future experience and product visions).
- Establish regular delivery of durable UX metrics that can be tracked over time, analyzed against business outcomes, and compared to competitor experience metrics.
- Create a longitudinal view of the status and efficacy of Allstate's user-centered design strategy.
- Connect experience metrics to larger enterprise-wide transformation strategy and business intelligence streams.
- Integrate UX governance into agile software delivery process by demonstrating and training others to conduct regular usability testing of built code to catch and fix issues before deployment.
- Educational background and/or experience with human subjects research (e.g. Bachelor's degree in a social sciences or research-based discipline such as HCI, Anthropology, Cognitive Psychology, Sociology, Economics, Demographics, Statistics; or equivalent professional experience.)
- Three to five years' experience doing product research or other applied research.
- Experience using qualitative and quantitative UX research methods such as usability testing, survey research, and web analytics to gather user experience insights and analyze user behavior.
- Comfort with one or more programming languages (e.g., SQL or Python) to query and manipulate commonly used data formats (e.g., CSV files)
- Practical experience using tools like R, Python, or SPSS to perform and interpret basic statistical analyses (e.g., descriptive statistics, hypothesis tests, regressions)
- Experience presenting findings in narrative deliverables such as reports and presentation slide decks
- Advanced degree in a research-based discipline.
- Proficiency with research definition, especially in an applied setting.
- Experience analyzing data gathered from the field or the lab, quantifying effects (logistic regressions, decision trees) and designing experiments to validate hypotheses.
- Experience working within a scaled agile software development environment.
- Experience conducting formative and summative usability testing.
Knowledge of user research and data analysis tools such as Adobe analytics, Tableau, Qualtrics, UserZoom, Validately, dScout, a plus.Stand-Out skills
- Passion for applying research to influence product design and business strategy.
- “Consulting” skills for turning business objectives and strategies into measurable success metrics.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to quickly build rapport, establish credibility, and work as part of a cross-functional team.
- Ability to engage developers, product managers, and business stakeholders by making research findings convincing and actionable.
- Strategic, big-picture thinker who can tell evidence-based stories of how user experience design is impacting desired experiential and business outcomes.
- Flexible, resourceful, and independent: motivated to overcome roadblocks and constraints to data collection through tenacity and creative alternatives.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary but thats just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, youll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.