Manager Engineering- Data & Analytics Engineering (DAE)
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a “Great Place to Work” by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the “100 Best Places to Work in IT” onIDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduates—as well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
If you're a curious learner who has a passion for getting things done, thrives in an environment of servant leadership and has a wealth of Agile know-how, we want you to join our GRM IT Data & Analytics Engineering (DAE) team!
As an Engineering Manager, you will lead dedicated Agile teams that incorporate customer-focused data solutions, engineering excellence and standard Agile/Lean software development methodologies. You will lead people by creating a shared vision, empowering and serving them by removing obstacles and helping them grow. You will constantly energize and enable your teams to rapidly and reliably deliver business value by engaging customers, continuously learning and adapting, and enabling teams reach their potential.
In this role within the GRM IT DAE organization, you will manage and lead three agile data engineering squads as they build and maintain business data solutions for GRM Products with a focus on Business Lines. You will be responsible for overall delivery and partner with Product Owners and business stakeholders to ensure that the data solutions drive business value and foster a culture of data driven decision making. You will collaborate with Data Architects, application partners and Solutions Engineers on technology decisions, both on-prem and cloud, to ensure the platform and solutions are scalable, reliable, and secure.
- Initiates and fosters collaborative partnerships with Data Office, stakeholders, other aligned managers, source application partners and architects to support agile delivery teams; develops relationships that support increasing efficiency and effectiveness.
- Supports team members in addressing or escalating issues to make the overall team more efficient. Removes roadblocks and obstacles; manages interdependencies when needed.
- Change Advocate – Be a champion of our ecosystem Cloud migration and help teams navigate change and adoption.
- Ensure team understands the vision and objectives of the organization and how their backlog and priorities support achieving those objectives.
- Participates in the development of business and/or IT vision, strategies, critical success factors and operating plans for application, unit or portfolio.
- Defines individual performance objectives and development plans and ensures alignment with organizational objectives.
- Coordinates and delivers performance reviews and drives professional development; Facilitates or provides mentoring experiences.
- Deals effectively with performance issues in a timely manner; Provides relevant coaching and support.
- Responsible for unit's workforce and talent management plans, including skills forecasting, staff development, training and succession planning.
- Hires talent and actively engages in recruiting processes.
- Lead efforts within the DAE organization within People, Process and Technology objectives and strategic initiatives.
- Bachelor`s or Master`s Degree in technical or business discipline.
- 5+ years of Data experience.
- 3+ years in a leadership experience.
- Experience delivering software solutions in an agile environment.
- Able to manage complex technology development concepts, capabilities and maturity.
- Strong team building and people management skills in a matrixed and geographically dispersed organization.
- Requires excellent analytical ability, consultative, communication, presentation and management skills, strong judgment, and ability to effectively liaise with cross functional stakeholders and optimize teams.
- Demonstrated ability to operate collaboratively and build consensus.
- A “bar-raiser” mentality and are driven to motivate and lead teams to achieve great things.
- In-depth knowledge of technology standards and guidelines; knowledge of management concepts, practices and techniques; thorough knowledge of business functions and operations, objectives and strategies.
- Knowledge of agile engineering practices, development methodologies (Scrum, Kanban) and tools (Jira, Slack, VersionOne).
- Strong process orientation with effective organizational, communication and presentation skills.
- In-depth knowledge of IT concepts, strategies and methodologies and their application to business opportunities.