Mainframe Storage Engineer
The world isnt standing still, and neither is Allstate. Were moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers evolving needs. Thats why now is an exciting time to join our team. Youll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
Youll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from lifes uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For more than 89 years weve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatevers coming next to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. Weve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We dont follow the trends. We set them.Job Description
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Executing over 30 billion transactions a day worldwide, IBM Z is critical to Allstate databases, transaction servers, and applications that require high reliability, scalability, compatibility and security. Allstate's IBM Z (Mainframe) Storage Engineers develop technical solutions which enable our business partners, customers, agents, and employees to reach and exceed their goals.
We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
We're looking for strategic, innovative thinkers who excel at providing fresh, creative solutions.
• Provision and allocate storage in response to the needs and requests of application and technical support areas
• Monitor, support, maintain, and administer disk storage and virtual tape subsystem infrastructure and software
• Analyze production mainframe DASD space availability; find the cause of any issues and proactively address them
• Manage backups and data replication across all LPARs in multiple sysplexes and locations
• Customization and maintenance of SMS, RMM and HSM
• Analyze, recommend and execute required SMS modifications
• Respond to and take appropriate action on mainframe storage related user inquiries, service requests and incident tickets
• Engage in proactive maintenance activities to ensure optimal use and availability of mainframe storage resources
• Assist Storage and z/OS Engineering teams with implementation and upgrades of mainframe DASD and virtual tape infrastructure and software
• Participate in the development of manual and automated procedures to increase the efficiency of the storage administration
• Actively contribute to the implementation of IBM's Geographically Dispersed Parallel Sysplex (GDPS) solution
• Administration and execution of GDPS Global Mirror scripts
• Support and administer HSM, SMS and ACS
• Analyze and administer management class constructs defining retention requirements for data sets
• Review, investigate, and administer HSM parameter library members
• Actively participate in and contribute to disaster recovery planning and exercises
• Participate in an on-call rotation to provide 24x7 support; be available for project and maintenance activities outside normal working hours, as needed.
• Minimum of 5 years of experience administering IBM storage in a z/OS, multi-sysplex environment
• Minimum of 5 years of experience managing a virtual tape environment
• Proficiency working with SMS, HSM and ACS
• Proficiency working with RMM
• Experience administering and provisioning IBM DS8K storage hardware is preferred
• Experience administering and provisioning IBM TS7700 virtual tape storage hardware is preferred
• Experience implementing and/or managing IBM Global Mirror replication environment is preferred
• Proficient with JCL coding and IBM utilities (IDCAMS, IEBCOPY, ICEGENER, etc.)
• Proficient using TSO, ISPF, ISMF
• SAS and/or REXX programming experience is a plus
• Experience supporting and maintaining OS catalogs is a plus
• College degree or equivalent work experience
• Self-motivated and self-directed
• Ability to coach and train less experienced employees under general direction
• Ability to resolve difficult problems and implement solutions after evaluating multiple alternative
• Ability to operate effectively as part of a geographically dispersed team
• Ability to access, understand and adhere to established standards and procedures
• Strong interpersonal, collaboration and team skills
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary but thats just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, youll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.For a full description of Allstates benefits, visit allstate.jobs/benefits/
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click here for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click here for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the EEO is the Law poster click here. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click here. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Companys policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employees ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.