Underwriting Consultant, Property
A little about us
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a “Great Place to Work” by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduates—as well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
Our underwriters focus on answering two fundamental questions. Should we write a policy for a particular customer? What is a fair price for the risk that we would assume by writing the policy?
As the Underwriting Consultant in our National Insurance Property team, you will work under broad management direction, analyzes a company's exposures, hazards, financial ratios, commercial property insurance coverage, loss history, pricing targets, and desired program structure to recommend whether to proceed with an account, and if so, under what terms and conditions. This Large Account Property Underwriter will work with an Account Analyst and Risk Engineering to underwrite single carrier business greater than $150M TIV. (Total Insured Value).
- You will Evaluate or assesses the business applying for insurance by qualifying accounts; identifying, selecting and assessing risks; resolving premium, policy terms and conditions; obtaining approvals; creating/presenting the proposal to the agent/broker and successfully negotiating deals.
- Demonstrate a high level of responsiveness and focus on supporting Agents and Brokers objectives through successful negotiations. Establishes and maintains the relationship through responsive service, site visits, in person renewal meetings or improved knowledge of their customers businesses.
- Lead a sizable and complex book by analyzing the portfolio, identifying areas of opportunity for improved growth, profit and diversification. Executing marketing plans to increase business with preferred brokers.
- Document files in a way that reflects a validated thought process and decision-making through comprehensive account reviews, sign-offs and referrals.
- Formally guide, mentors, and coaches underwriters in both technical and professional skills. Demonstrates a specialized knowledge and provides regular updates to other underwriters.
- Actively participate in continuous improvement by fully engaging in daily huddles, generating suggestions, following appropriate procedures and work principles. You will participate in problem solving activities, and using continuous improvement tools to support the work of the team.
Expert-level knowledge of insurance products/coverage, underwriting, pricing, risk selection, market segments and marketplace; insurance finance and actuarial concepts; loss control/risk engineering; marketing techniques, regulatory environment and reinsurance; advanced-level knowledge of territory management. Ability to apply underwriting/appetite, tools, systems, and resources to achieve goals, solve complex problems, establish and build healthy working relationships exceeds in mentoring relationships, and negotiate as normally acquired and a related Bachelor`s degree, eight to ten years of relevant experience preferred; CPCU or professional insurance designation strongly preferred.