Farm Underwriting Manager
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a “Great Place to Work” by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the “100 Best Places to Work in IT” onIDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduates—as well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
The Farm Underwriting Manager builds expertise by selecting, developing and managing a unit of technically competent underwriters with multi-line expertise, confidence of judgment and deal orientation. They will identify and pursue opportunities for profitable growth in order to achieve a balanced, profitable and quality book while protecting Company assets. The Manager will develop and maintain effective business relationships with distribution and service partners. The manager applies an advanced level of expertise and judgment to analyze data prepared by underwriters and provides approval for risk selection and acceptance, coverage, and price for multi-line business.
- Leadership: Responsible for the acquisition, retention and development of underwriting talent. Formally manages, guides, mentors, and coaches underwriters in both technical and professional skills. Fosters an environment conducive to continuous improvement and root cause problem solving activities.
- Risk Selection: Responsible for implementing a strategy to better evaluate risk quality and further UWs skillset in qualifying, selecting and assessing risk.
- Agent/Broker Relationships: Fosters relationship management with key Agents and Brokers. Develops underwriter negotiation, communication and general deal making skills.
- Portfolio Management: Evaluates portfolio performance based on profitability metrics, multiline diversification, reinsurance, production metrics and industry trends.
- Quality Audit and Account Review: Ensure files meet regulatory requirements and internal documentation standards. Coaches underwriters to articulate thought process, decision making within both account reviews and file documentation.
- High level understanding of commercial property & casualty products; insurance operations; finance and actuarial concepts; regulatory environment; reinsurance; account management; underwriting; and producer management
- Skills required include analyzing and problem solving; adaptability; decision making, building relationships; working effectively with others; communicating effectively; negotiation; influencing others; applying financial acumen; focusing on service; executing well
- Planning and organizing work; and achieving results
- Advanced degree or equivalent training required, CPCU designation (or equivalent), 7+ years of relevant experience