Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description SummaryProduce and underwrite new and renewal business from assigned brokers in a market segment. Consistently achieve superior financial results (premium, loss ratio, retention, commissions, pricing, new business, and expense management) through superior execution of market segment strategies. Interact and collaborate with a team of market segment colleagues and other critical internal/external business associates. Position involves both outside and inside sales and includes direct responsibility for business development and management within a book of business. Act as a local expert and role model for other team members. Actively mentor Account Executives.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Underwrite and assess risk for all products and accounts in a market segment. Make appropriate decisions within own underwriting authority and make appropriate recommendations to segment/business leadership.
- Underwrite most complex/demanding accounts and risks and consider different approaches toward risks to maximize success/profitability (e.g., pricing, retention, endorsements, limits, indemnity, security).
- Within authority limit, make quick sound decisions and negotiate terms and conditions consistent with Travelers Canada requirements and within submission timeframe.
- Understand and execute segment strategies to produce budgeted results.
- Continuously manage a book of business, maintaining quality of business as required by market segment strategy.
- Accountable for accurate underwriting documentation/ information in account management systems and adherence to documentation standards.
- Understand, embrace, execute, and foster Travelers Canada and business segment Best Practices.
- Maintain collaborative relationships with colleagues in Head Office, Risk Control, Claims, Actuarial, and as needed, any other parts of the organization.
- Act as the local, Regional or industry resident expert.
- In exercising own underwriting authority, assure that policies and accounts are effectively underwritten, handled and documented in compliance with market segment and regulatory standards and requirements.
- SALES MANAGEMENT:
- Develop and leverage productive broker/client relationships through a high level of visibility with brokers and clients and a disciplined sales management approach (e.g., planning and follow-up for broker and end customer visits/meetings) in support of business objectives.
- Effectively develop, document and execute sales plans. Sales activity to include the largest and most important brokers/clients.
- Act as a responsible business partner with brokers and clients with interaction and negotiation as appropriate.
- Maintain a collaborative relationship with Head Office colleagues.
- Identify and capture new business opportunities and effectively cross sell Travelers Canada products (e.g., Business Insurance, Financial and Professional Services, Surety).
- Actively participate/lead regularly scheduled sales meetings.
- Demonstrate superior customer service standards (consistency, quick response, knowledge of products).
- Convince / persuade others to help achieve underwriting, sales and production goals and understand and work towards strategic objectives.
- Customer interaction focuses on meeting customer expectations re response time and knowledge of products and business.
- Demonstrate operational excellence by complying with Best Practices and managing desk to meet customer expectations.
- Work strategically and tactically with brokers and agents to ensure appropriate level of understanding of company goals and objectives.
- 5 years underwriting experience.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Minimum college diploma in insurance related program preferred.
- 4 year university degree and/or related business experience preferred.
- 5+ years Commercial Underwriting experience preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing accommodation to persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation during the recruitment or interview process we will work with you to accommodate your needs.