Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryThe position is responsible for investigating, evaluating, reserving, negotiating and resolving assigned Specialty Liability related Bodily Injury and Property Damage claims, or first party business property claims of moderate severity, or complexity. Provides quality claim handling throughout the claim life cycle (customer contacts, coverage, investigation, evaluation, reserving, negotiation and resolution) including maintaining full compliance with internal and external quality standards and state specific regulations. As part of the hiring process, this position requires the completion of an online pre-employment assessment. Further information regarding the assessment including an accommodation process, if needed, will be provided at such time as your candidacy is deemed appropriate for further consideration.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Timely coverage analysis and communications with insured based on application of policy information, facts or allegations of each case. Consults with Unit Manager on use of Claim Coverage Counsel.
- Investigates each claim through prompt contact with appropriate parties such as policyholders, accounts, claimants, law enforcement agencies, witnesses, agents, medical providers and technical experts to determine the extent of liability, damages, and contribution potential. Takes necessary statements.
- Identifies resources for specific activities required to properly investigate claims such as Subrogation, Risk Control, Salvage and fire or fraud investigators and to other experts. Requests through Unit Manager and coordinate the results of their efforts and findings.
- Verifies the nature and extent of injury or property damage by obtaining and reviewing appropriate records and damages documentation.
- Keeps effective diary management system to ensure that all claims are handled timely. At required time intervals, evaluates liability and damages exposure, and establishes proper indemnity and expense reserves.
- Utilizes evaluation documentation tools in accordance with department guidelines.
- Responsible for prompt, cost effective, and proper disposition of all claims within delegated authority.
- Negotiates disposition of claims with insureds and claimants or their representatives.
- Recognizes and implements alternate means of resolution.
- Maintains claim files, have an effective diary system, and document claim file activities in accordance with established procedures.
- May attend depositions, and any other legal proceedings, as needed.
- Updates appropriate parties as needed, providing new facts as they become available, and their impact upon the liability analysis and settlement options.
- Recognizes cases based on severity protocols to be referred timely to next level claim professional or Major Case Unit.
- Appropriately deals with information that is considered personal and confidential.
- Fulfills specific service commitments made to certain accounts, as outlined in Special Account Communication (SAC) instructions, and inquiries from agents and brokers.
- Represents the company as a technical resource, attends legal proceedings as needed, act within established professional guidelines as well as applicable state laws.
- Provides quality customer service and ensures file quality.
- Shares accountability with business partners to achieve and sustain quality results.
- In order to perform the essential functions of this job, acquisition and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be is required to comply with state and Travelers requirements. Generally, license(s) must be obtained within three months of starting the job and obtain ongoing continuing education credits as mandated.
- Writes denial letters, Reservation of Rights and other complex correspondence.
- Properly assesses extent of damages and manages damages through proper usage of cost evaluation tools.
- Meets all quality standards and expectations in accordance with the Knowledge Guides.
- High School Degree or GED required.
- A minimum of one year liability or property claim handling experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- 2 years business experience preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability in claims handling.
- Advanced level knowledge and skill in claims and litigation.
- Basic working level knowledge and skill in various business line products.
- Strong negotiation and customer service skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong keyboard skills and Windows proficiency, including Excel and Word
- Demonstrated good organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and work independently.
- Demonstrated strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills including the ability to convey and receive information effectively.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Analytical Thinking- Intermediate
- Judgment/Decision Making- Intermediate
- Communication- Intermediate
- Negotiation- Intermediate
- Insurance Contract Knowledge- Intermediate
- Principles of Investigation- Intermediate
- Value Determination- Intermediate
- Settlement Techniques- Intermediate
- Written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills including the ability to convey and receive information effectively - Intermediate
- Interpersonal and customer service skills - Intermediate
- Organizational and time management skills - Intermediate
- Ability to work independently - Intermediate
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Travel Requirements: Travel Occasionally
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.