Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description SummaryProduce and underwrite new and renewal business in a market segment including building and maintaining productive relationships with assigned brokers. Consistently achieve plan financial results (premium, loss ratio, retention, commissions, pricing, new business, and expense management) through superior service, business retention and responsiveness to new business submissions. Interact and collaborate with a team of market segment colleagues and other critical internal/external business associates. Position involves both outside and inside sales with management of a book of business.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- RESPONSIBILITIES UNDERWRITING.
- Underwrite and assess risk for products and accounts in a market segment. Make appropriate decisions within own underwriting authority in addition to considered, intelligent, and complete recommendations to segment/business leadership.
- Consistent with Travelers Canada underwriting principles, evaluate risk reward and consider different approaches toward risks to maximize profitability (e.g., pricing, retention, endorsements, limits, indemnity, security).
- Make prompt, sound decisions within underwriting authority and based on appropriate underwriting information. Negotiate terms and conditions consistent with market segment requirements and standards within submission timeframe.
- Understand and execute segment strategies to produce budgeted results.
- Continuously manage book of business (maintain quality of business required by market segment strategy).
- Accountable for accurate underwriting documentation/ information in account management systems and adherence to documentation standards.
- Understand, embrace, execute, and foster Travelers Canada and Business Segment Best Practices.
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with colleagues in other parts of the organization, including Head Office, Risk Control, Claims, Actuarial, etc. as needed.
- Actively engage and seek out training opportunities within market segment to further develop industry expertise.
- RESPONSIBILITIES SALES MANAGEMENT.
- Develop and leverage productive relationships through a high level of visibility and a disciplined sales management approach (e.g., planning and follow-up for broker and end customer interaction, visits and meetings) all in support of business objectives.
- Effectively assist in the development, documentation and execution of sales plans with emphasis on increasing marketing and sales activities outside the office.
- Develop relationships with assigned brokers and clients to establish the foundation to interact and effectively deal with account issues as appropriate.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with Head Office colleagues.
- Identify and capture new business opportunities and effectively cross sell Travelers Canada products (e.g. Business Insurance, Financial and Professional Services, Surety).
- Actively participate in regularly scheduled sales and underwriting meetings.
- Work effectively as a productive and supportive in conjunction with more senior team members, supporting business unit and company objectives.
- Demonstrate superior customer service standards (consistency, quick response, knowledge of products).
- Convince / persuade others to help achieve underwriting, sales and production goals and understand and work towards strategic objectives.
- Customer interaction focuses on meeting customer expectations re response time and knowledge of products and business.
- Demonstrate operational excellence by complying with Best Practices and managing.
- 1 year of insurance/ underwriting experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelors degree preferred.
- Typically has 1-3 years of relevant underwriting experience.
- Previous Commercial underwriting experience preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing accommodation to persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation during the recruitment or interview process we will work with you to accommodate your needs.