Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryThis role is responsible for: being the primary underwriter for the management and underwriting of allocated renewal book in accordance with underwriting authority for an assigned broker panel; having secondary responsibility, supporting the Development Underwriter, producing and writing new business from assigned broker panel in accordance with underwriting authority; making sound underwriting decisions; supporting Branch in consistently achieving financial plan (premium, loss ratio, retention, commissions, pricing, new business, and expense management) through superior service, business retention and responsiveness to new business submissions; interacting and collaborating with the team, Technology Underwriting Managers, Market Segment Colleagues and other critical internal/external business associates; delivering a service delivery to brokers and clients in accordance with Travelers standards.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Underwrite and assess risk to maximise business growth and profitability for allocated broker panel. Make appropriate decisions within own underwriting authority in addition to considered, intelligent and complete recommendations to technical underwriting/business leadership.
- Make prompt, sound decisions within underwriting authority and based on appropriate underwriting information. Negotiate terms and conditions consistent with underwriting requirements and service.
- Understand and execute Travelers' underwriting strategies and principles to produce budgeted results.
- Working with Development Underwriter on same broker panel, continuously manage book of business, maintaining quality of business, growth and profit.
- Accountable for accurate underwriting documentation and information in account management systems and adherence to Travelers' documentation standards.
- Actively engage and seek out training opportunities to further develop underwriting expertise.
- Develop and leverage broker/client relationships through a high level of visibility and using a disciplined sales management approach (e.g. planning and follow-up for broker and customer visits/meetings) in support of business objectives.
- Working with Distribution, effectively assist in the development, documentation and execution of sales plans with emphasis on increasing marketing and sales activities outside the office. Work tactically with brokers to ensure they have an appropriate level of understanding of TICL goals and objectives.
- Seek out and maintain collaborative relationships with colleagues in other business units and regions to foster business development across Travelers.
- Actively participate in regularly scheduled regional and product underwriting and/or sales meetings.
- Demonstrate superior customer service standards (consistency, quick response, knowledge of products) to meet Travelers' service standards.
- Previous experience of underwriting in Property and Casualty classes of business.
- Incumbents are required to hold a full, valid driving licence.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Degree education preferred.
- Proven experience in underwriting.
- General knowledge of the local insurance marketplace.
- General knowledge of organizational and regulatory rules, policies and procedures and effectively employs that knowledge in day to day work activities.
- General knowledge of technical underwriting.
Licensing or Certificates
- ACII qualification preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Intermediate knowledge and ability required in respect of analytical thinking, judgment, decision making, communication and strong team work. Demonstrates proven ability in enhanced retention strategies.
- Demonstrates intermediate ability in the areas of customer focus and positive broker interaction.
- Demonstrates intermediate knowledge and ability in respect of Microsoft Office systems including Excel and Powerpoint.
- Typically demonstrates intermediate relationship management skills.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.