Federal Tax Manager II
Corporate Taxation at Liberty Mutual
Liberty Mutual's highly integrated tax organization provides a collegial framework to achieve results. Typically, professionals contribute across all the key components of tax including planning & research, audits, compliance & financial reporting. You will become a consummate tax professional vs. a specialist or tax technician.
The structure of the tax organization encourages and drives collaboration and teamwork. Therefore, you need to be an excellent communicator and execution oriented to succeed. A successful candidate will need to take ownership of key projects and deliverables, as well as manage ambiguity. The ability to be flexible and comfortable with change will also be critical to your success.
- Manages complex compliance assignments ensuring timely and accurate filings of tax returns and recommends and implements processes that improve the efficiency and accuracy of compliance related activities.
- Reviews research, memoranda and supporting documentation prepared by staff for routine and complex tax technical and income tax accounting issues; presents findings to senior management.
- Approves simple to moderate tax-related financial statement calculations including analytics, entries and disclosures. Provides guidance and oversight to staff/supervisors on monthly financial reporting tasks.
- Reviews and assigns requests from IRS or regulators to ensure timely and accurate responses while proactively identifying issues.
- Manages moderate to complex projects, ensuring adequate resources and capabilities are available to deliver results. Recommends solutions to business, resource, or technical obstacles.
- Identifies, develops, and leads the implementation of process improvements.
- Monitors key legislative, regulatory, and/or tax litigation issues. Identifies and communicates developments relevant to the Company to senior management.
- Manages all aspects of staff performance including engaging and motivating employees through honest feedback and coaching; effective management of performance and talent cycles.
- Identifies and supports the implementation of timely, cost-effective tax planning strategies designed to create value and enhance the Company's worldwide tax position.
- Participates in tax planning projects, which could include transactional planning, audits, and tax return implementation.
- Provides tax guidance to SBUs and other corporate departments and collaborates with them to analyze and implement proposed strategies.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or Equivalent.
- Advanced degree or certification preferred (MST, MSA, MBA, CPA or JD).
- Insurance industry experience preferred, but not required.
- A minimum of at least 6 years of US Federal tax experience (financial reporting, compliance, audit, planning) or equivalent, preferably with a major public accounting firm or large multi-national company.
- Previous management experience required.
- Highly motivated individual with ability to multi-task and complete deliverables within time constraints and deadlines.
- Strong critical thinking ability and financial acumen.
- Highly analytical and detail oriented.
- Advanced issue and opportunity recognition skills.
- Strong financial reporting skills, GAAP, Statutory and IFRS.
- Proven track record of process improvement and project management.
- Strong oral and written communication skills with ability to provide clear and concise information to stakeholders outside the taxation team.
You will participate in training that is among the best in the industry. You will be taught the skills you will need to become a successful tax professional. You will attend customized training programs on tax technical and tax accounting techniques, as well as learn insurance concepts.
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a “Great Place to Work” by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the “100 Best Places to Work in IT” on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list.
We have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduates—as well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion.
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.