International Tax Manager I/II
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a “Great Place to Work” by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the “100 Best Places to Work in IT” on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list.
We have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduates—as well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion.
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
Corporate Taxation at Liberty Mutual
Liberty Mutual's highly integrated tax organization provides a collegial framework to achieve results. Typically, professionals contribute across all the key components of tax including planning & research, audits, compliance & financial reporting. You will become a consummate tax professional vs. a specialist or tax technician.
The structure of the tax organization encourages and drives collaboration and teamwork. Therefore, you need to be an excellent communicator and execution oriented to succeed. A successful candidate will need to take ownership of key projects and deliverables, as well as manage ambiguity. The ability to be flexible and comfortable with change will also be critical to your success.
** This is a range posting for grades 16-17. Hire grade to be determined by hiring manager. **
- Manages complex compliance assignments ensuring timely and accurate filings of tax returns including forms 5471, 8865, 926, and foreign tax credits.
- Reviews research, memoranda and supporting documentation prepared by staff for routine and complex tax technical and income tax accounting issues; presents findings to senior management.
- Approves tax-related financial statement calculations including analytics, entries and disclosures for the global income tax provision process. Provides guidance and oversight to staff/supervisors on monthly financial reporting tasks.
- Reviews and assigns requests from the IRS or regulators to ensure timely and accurate responses while proactively identifying issues.
- Manages moderate to complex projects, ensuring adequate resources and capabilities are available to deliver results. Recommends solutions to business, resource, or technical obstacles.
- Identifies, develops, and leads the implementation of process improvements.
- Monitors key legislative, regulatory, and/or tax litigation issues. Identifies and communicates developments relevant to the Company to senior management.
- Manages all aspects of staff performance including engaging and motivating employees through honest feedback and coaching; effectively manages performance and talent cycles.
- Identifies and supports the implementation of timely, cost-effective tax planning strategies designed to create value and enhance the Company's worldwide tax position.
- Participates in tax planning projects, which could include transactional planning, audits, and tax return implementation.
- Provides tax guidance to strategic business units and other corporate departments and collaborates with them to analyze and implement proposed strategies.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or Equivalent
- Advanced degree or certification preferred (MST, MSA, MBA, CPA or JD)
- Insurance industry experience a plus but not required
- A minimum of at least 5 years of U.S. International tax experience (financial reporting, compliance, audit, planning), preferably with a major public accounting firm or large multi-national company
- Broad in-depth knowledge of U.S. international tax rules, including the calculation of Subpart F income, Foreign Tax Credits, Earnings and Profits, Sec. 78 Gross Up
- Broad knowledge of international provisions under U.S. GAAP with an emphasis on ASC 740, APB 23, valuation allowance, FIN 48, purchase accounting and financial statement disclosures
- Previous management experience preferred
- Highly motivated individual with ability to multi-task and complete deliverables within time constraints and deadlines
- Strong critical thinking ability and financial acumen
- Highly analytical and detail oriented
- Proven track record of process improvement and project management
- Strong oral and written communication skills with ability to provide clear and concise information to stakeholders outside the taxation team
You will participate in training that is among the best in the industry. You will be taught the skills you will need to become a successful tax professional. You will attend customized training programs on tax technical and tax accounting techniques, as well as learn insurance concepts.
At Liberty Mutual, we give motivated, accomplished professionals the opportunity to help us redefine what insurance means; to work for a global leader with a deep sense of humanity and a focus on improving and protecting everyday lives. We create an inspired, collaborative environment, where people can take ownership of their work; push breakthrough ideas; and feel confident that their contributions will be valued, and their growth championed.
We're dedicated to doing the right thing for our employees, because we know that their fulfillment and success leads us to great places. Life. Happiness. Innovation. Impact. Advancement. Whatever their pursuit, talented people find their path at Liberty Mutual.