State Tax Manager II
Corporate Taxation at Liberty Mutual
Liberty Mutual's highly integrated tax organization provides a collegial framework to achieve results. Typically, professionals contribute across all the key components of tax including planning & research, audits, compliance & financial reporting. You will become a consummate tax professional vs. a specialist or tax technician.
The structure of the tax organization encourages and drives collaboration and teamwork. Therefore, you need to be an excellent communicator and execution oriented to succeed. A successful candidate will need to take ownership of key projects and deliverables, as well as manage ambiguity. The ability to be flexible and comfortable with change will also be critical to your success.
- Oversee tax research of state tax technical issues including preparation of memos and analysis for Sr. Management.
- Lead Liberty's response on state income tax audits; provide advice on state and local tax controversies, including IDR responses, appeals process and audit procedures.
- Provide state income tax analysis and expertise; help drive planning strategies and engagement with other departments.
- Provide guidance for State Income Tax financial reporting.
- Provide M&A and business transaction support, including due diligence.
- Provide expertise and support on other taxes including sales & use taxes and gross receipt taxes.
- Provide technical and business support to Payroll and Exec Compensation teams, e.g. withholding taxes.
- Perform legislative analysis; monitor developments and provide technical support on potential impact to Liberty of proposed state tax legislation. Identifies and communicate developments relevant to the Company to senior management.
- Manage complex tax compliance assignments ensuring timely and accurate filings of tax returns and recommends and implements processes that improve the efficiency and accuracy of compliance related activities.
- Manage moderate to complex projects, ensuring adequate resources and capabilities are available to deliver results. Recommend solutions to business, resource, or technical obstacles.
- Identify, develop, and lead the implementation of process improvements.
- Manage all aspects of staff performance including engaging and motivating employees through honest feedback and coaching; effective management of performance and talent cycles.
- Identify and supports the implementation of timely, cost-effective tax planning strategies designed to create value and enhance the Company's worldwide tax position.
- Participates in tax planning projects, which could include transactional planning, audits, and tax return implementation.
- Provides tax guidance to business units and other corporate departments and collaborates with them to analyze and implement proposed strategies.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or Equivalent.
- Advanced degree or certification preferred (MST, MSA, MBA, CPA or JD).
- Insurance industry experience preferred, but not required.
- A minimum of at least 6 years of US State tax experience (financial reporting, compliance, audit, planning) or equivalent, preferably with a major public accounting firm or large multi-national company.
- Previous management experience required.
- Highly motivated individual with ability to multi-task and complete deliverables within time constraints and deadlines; Ability to handle ad hoc consulting work requiring quick turn-around.
- Strong critical thinking ability and financial acumen.
- Highly analytical and detail oriented.
- Advanced issue and opportunity recognition skills.
- Income tax financial reporting experience
- Proven track record of process improvement and project management.
- Strong oral and written communication skills with ability to provide clear and concise information and analysis to stakeholders outside the taxation team.
You will participate in training that is among the best in the industry. You will be taught the skills you will need to become a successful tax professional. You will attend customized training programs on tax technical and tax accounting techniques, as well as learn insurance concepts.
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a “Great Place to Work” by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the “100 Best Places to Work in IT” on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list.
We have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduates—as well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion.
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.