Director II, Office of Data Science
Help shape the future of Data Science across Liberty!
As a technical lead in the Office of Data Science (ODS), you will work with a team of data science (DS) and machine learning (ML) experts to collaborate across the enterprise and solve Liberty's
most challenging data science problems.
The ODS was created to provide additional centralized support and expertise to DS teams across the global organization. Our projects focus on key areas of interest to multiple teams, bleeding
edge research and experimentation, common tool and platform development, and establishing bestpractices to ensure the scientific community at Liberty is well-positioned to rapidly meet the
challenges of modern industry.
If you are interested in making an impact on an entire scientific culture at a Fortune 100 company, the ODS is the place for you!
As a centralized group, our project scope is vast. Possible projects include:
1. Design and fine tune language models (NLP/NLU) to understand and build predictions or summaries from customer calls, claim notes, web chats, medical records, and beyond
2. Detect property hazards from aerial imagery, damage from customer photos, find and read a number in a scanned document, etc., using computer vision (CV)
3. Collaborate with technology partners to adopt, design, build, and/or integrate MLOps tools for the organization, ensuring they support broad DS needs, and help other DS groups adopt modern MLOps practices
4. Explore the advantages and limitations of privacy-preserving ML, to accelerate experimentation and better protect our customers' data
5. Push the boundaries in fundamental experimentation to boost and augment small-sample or rare-event data, transfer learning, and similar techniques
6. Engage in theoretical research in collaboration with MIT, via Liberty's investment in the MIT Quest for Intelligence, to shape the future of AI.
As a technical director, you will be responsible for setting the scientific strategy for many of these initiatives, working cross-org (and cross-functionally) to implement and scale solutions from PoC to MVP and beyond, and explain and defend the strategies to business partners. You will work with other scientists and engineers of varying levels of expertise, and influence solutions across the org. If you like a rich set of varied responsibilities, with tremendous exposure and impact within a large organization, this is a role for you!
· Broad knowledge of machine learning and statistics, with the ability to deep dive as well as converse at the executive level. NLP/NLU, Computer Vision, and other deep learning experience
· Advanced python and related programming skills
· Experience directing or managing small to medium projects
· Ability to give effective training and presentations to DS, management, and other groups
· Established ability to supervise, mentor, and/or manage junior data scientists
· Advanced degree and 5 to 7 years of relevant experience, or a Bachelor`s degree with 10 years of
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession. We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more, please visit https://www.libertymutualgroup.com/about-lm/careers/benefits
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a “Great Place to Work” by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the “100 Best Places to Work in IT” on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. We have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduates—as well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.