Senior Data Architect - GRS
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession. We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more, please visit https://www.libertymutualgroup.com/about-lm/careers/benefits
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a “Great Place to Work” by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the “100 Best Places to Work in IT” on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list.
We have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduates—as well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
We deliver our customers peace of mind every day by helping them protect what they value most. Our passion for placing the customer at the center of everything we do is driving a transformational shift at Liberty Mutual. Operating as a tech startup within a Fortune 100 company, we are leading a digital disruption that will redefine how people experience insurance.
Liberty Mutual Global Risk Solutions Technology (GRS Tech) is actively searching for a Senior Data Architect within the Global Data & Advanced Analytics Platform team. You will work with the data-centric product teams to design and build data architectures to support the GRS business segments across the full insurance value chain. We are looking for someone who enjoys working in a highly collaborative environment that values speed and quality, with a strong desire to drive change as we continue our agile transformational journey.
In this position, you will be responsible for articulating and driving aspects of the GRS Data Strategy and the architectural vision and strategy, as well as developing and validating the architecture and solution design aligned to critical business capabilities. You will play a leadership role on the Data Architecture team and act as the technical Product Owner for assigned domain, such as the data lake, data governance, metadata management, data manufacturing, ETL, feature engineering, new innovations, and more. You will provide technical expertise, guide, and mentor development teams on methodologies, processes and best practices on cloud data architectures, data science platforms, event-driven architecture, and API-enabled data services.
About the role:
- Leads technical teams and has a leadership responsibility for data architecture and data technical design for multiple business units across our global organization.
- Recommends emerging technological solutions to increase market share and reduce operational costs.
- Build a unified data and analytics ecosystem that drives improved business decisions supported by transformative cloud-based architecture capabilities
- Deliver business value and improve decision making by identifying and building data solutions, self-service data and reporting capabilities in alignment with business priorities and GRS Data Strategy
- Will work on various database technologies and be expected to provide frameworks and code in various technologies including Teradata, AWS, Denodo, SAS, Informatica, and others.
- Reviews and ensures architectural designs are consistent, maintainable, flexible, and cost effective.
- Reviews and ensures data security and privacy standards are implemented including: role based security, encryption, tokenization, and obfuscation.
- Works with application teams to identify functional requirements that drive technology that enables business functionality.
- Designs and maintains database structures including tables, views, synonyms, sequences, triggers, procedures, functions, indexes, materialized views, partitioning strategies, and compression.
- Helps develop architectural strategies and direction which allows the business to deliver new customer engagement models.
- Develops the data architecture and governance models for systems of engagement and provides the framework for integrating source systems with the transactional databases or data warehouses.
- Provides the framework for defining the data model of the operational database or data warehouse
- Provides strategic guidance to senior leadership for data movement strategies, data obfuscation (data masking), record retention strategy (Deletion and Archival), data infrastructure/security, the operational data store (ODS) and the operational reporting strategy.
- Analyzes highly complex systems, technical and product issues and helps develop solutions and drive systems direction. Develops and documents technology roadmaps.
- Analyzes data to validate data issues or provide bulk data defect fixes.
- Makes recommendations to improve process efficiency and effectiveness for core and utility services.
- Analyzes the technology industry and market trends to determine potential impact on the business.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in technical discipline; Master's preferred.
- 15 years of architecture experience in applications development in a complex, multi-platform distributed environment.
- Experience in designing, developing, and deploying cloud-based solutions which leverage cloud provided platforms.
- Experience in data warehousing concepts and techniques.
- Experience in Master Data Management (MDM) concept, tools, and best practices.
- Experience in agile methodology and CI/CD principles.
- Extensive, real-world experience, in designing enterprise solutions.
- Extensive experience in layered solutions and designs, diverse technical configurations, across multiple technologies and processing environments.
- In-depth knowledge in software engineering languages and tools; proficient in new and emerging technologies.
- Extensive knowledge of all product and system components of technical architecture.
- In-depth understanding of business operations, objectives and strategies including but not limited to, insurance industry, financial services, global business, architecture, technology trends, as well as security minded.
- Knowledgeable in software engineering languages and tools; proficient new and emerging technologies.
- Strong leadership skills; coaching and mentoring skills.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills - including negotiation, facilitation, and consensus building skills; ability to influence and persuade, without direct control.
- High degree of flexibility and ability to work with employees at all levels of the organization with diverse backgrounds.
- Strong desire to drive change, and ability to adapt to change quickly.
- Strong consulting skills (relevant/technical); recognized as a thought leader within the company.
- Ability to balance the long-term "big picture" and short term implications of decisions.
- Experience with or working knowledge of:
- AWS Native (e.g. S3, Redshift, Athena), Teradata, MySQL, SQL Server, NoSQL technologies
- Experience in defining, and evangelizing, the use of reference architectures and repeatable implementation patterns
- Good understanding of multi-tenancy-based applications
- Strong understanding of database security and approaches such as secure development practices and code-level application security (e.g. identity and encryption).
- Strong understanding of Open Source technologies
- Familiar with architecture principles and frameworks