Senior Underwriter, Express
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a “Great Place to Work” by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the “100 Best Places to Work in IT” onIDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduates—as well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
Our Senior Underwriter - Express ensures a profitable book of Property and Casualty insurance business by appropriately pre-qualifying risks within delegated authority levels. Partners with agents to manage and grow a multi-line book of business by evaluating, selecting, and pricing risks primarily on accounts with less than $25,000 in premium, bringing speed and quick turnaround times to help you win with smaller business clients. Demonstrates decision-making authority under moderate supervision, recommending quality exceptions where appropriate to maximize profitability and meet business plans. Responsible for working with and protecting confidential and proprietary customer and Company information.
We encourage you to apply and bring your expertise if you're a:
- Risk Selection: evaluates or assesses the business applying for insurance by qualifying accounts; identifying, selecting and assessing risks; determining the premium, policy terms and conditions; obtaining approvals; creating/presenting the proposal to the agent/broker and successfully negotiating deals.
- Agent/Broker Relationships: Develops and maintains successful relationships with Agents and Brokers by providing stewardship with service partners, including initial setup of service commitments, and regular visits.
- Portfolio Management: Manages a book of business by analyzing the portfolio, identifying areas of opportunity for improved growth, profit and diversification, and executing marketing plans to increase market share with preferred brokers.
- Documenting the Deal: Documents files in a way that reflects a solid thought process and decision making through comprehensive account reviews, sign-offs and referrals.
- Leadership: Formally and informally guides, mentors, and coaches underwriters in both technical and professional skills.
- Continuous Improvement: Actively participates in continuous improvement by fully engaging in daily huddles, generating suggestions, following appropriate procedures and work principles, participating in problem solving activities, and using continuous improvement tools to support the work of the team.
What you've got:
5 or more years of commercial underwriting experience
Preferred experience with loss control/risk engineering Skills
Analytical, problem-solving capabilities
Strong territory management skills
Excellent communication skills
An aptitude for building rewarding relationships with agents and brokers, peer underwriters, account analysts and junior underwriters
Command of insurance finance and actuarial concepts
Thorough knowledge of commercial insurance products, underwriting, risk selection, pricing and marketplaces, as well as regulatory issues in relevant territories
Understanding of contract language, including regulatory and policy differences among applicable states
Familiarity with continuous improvement processes and tools
A bachelor's degree in a related field
Professional insurance designations (currently or in process)