VP, Division UW Manager - Central
Plan, control, organize and direct the commercial casualty underwriting operations for a large division. Execute the Risk Management strategy to attain profit, quality, growth, multi-line diversification, and operational objectives. Collaborate with Distribution, Product Management and other functions. Manage the workforce to build highly effective managers and career underwriters with strong multi-line expertise, confidence of judgment, and deal orientation.
- Execute the segment strategy for a division to attain profit, quality, growth, multi-line diversification, and operational objectives monitor execution against the appetite and correct situations where objectives are not being met.
- Ensure underwriting managers focus efforts on sources of profitable growth, category execution, multi-line accounts and building expertise.
- Ensure that submissions are triaged and prioritized and skill-based routing practices enable the right underwriters to work the submissions in the right order.
- Analyze proposals prepared by underwriters and use letters of authority to provide approval for risk selection and acceptance, coverage, and price.
- Implement and maintain skill-based authority levels by line through underwriter certification.
- Collaborate with other functions and support initiatives in the areas of product development, operations, process, technology, distribution and claims management.
- Lead the division's selection, development, and management of underwriters needed to diversify the book and grow profitably ensure that expertise is fostered through development, coaching and mentoring mechanisms.
- Maintain a quality assurance process that identifies and corrects gaps in decision making.
- Technical skills: Advanced knowledge of casualty, including competitive conditions; insurance operations; finance and actuarial concepts; regulatory environment; reinsurance; account management; underwriting; loss control; producer management; and industry trends.
- Professional/General Business skills: Managerial courage; ability to set direction, create alignment and inspire/motivate; creativity/entrepreneurial skills; work cross-functionally by engaging and motivating people; negotiation; influencing others; communicating effectively (listening, verbal, written, etc.); adapt, learn quickly, and respond effectively to varied and intense challenges. As normally acquired through an advanced degree or equivalent training, 12 or more years of relevant experience, several of which should be in an operations management capacity.
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to positive change. In return for your service, it's our privilege to offer you benefits and rewards that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits.
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace an environment that is free from all discrimination in the workplace, in our business, or by our vendors. Liberty Mutual values diversity and the differences and similarities of our employees. We foster a diverse and inclusive work environment that leads to better ideas, stronger teams and more creative products and services for our customers.