Underwriting Consultant, Umbrella
The Middle Market Underwriting Specialist or Consultant is responsible for developing, growing, and maintaining a profitable, diversified Supported Umbrella book of business through marketing, effective underwriting decision making, mutually beneficial agent/brokers relationships, strong market-facing leadership presence, and application of underwriting tools, systems, and expert resources. Guides/mentors less experienced underwriters in Umbrella. Participates in regular projects that further the goals of the company.
- Risk Selection: Reviews, evaluates, and prices the risks submitted to Middle Market Umbrella by qualifying accounts, identifying, selecting and assessing risks, determines premium, policy terms and conditions, obtains approvals, creates/presents the proposal together with the Primary Underwriter to the agent/broker, and successfully close deals and achieve a profitable portfolio of accounts.
- Internal/External Relationships: Establishes, develops, and maintains successful relationships with assigned Primary Underwriters and agents/brokers to facilitate marketing of products, through responsive service, site visits, in person renewal meetings or enhanced knowledge of their customers businesses. Develops strong personal brand to build and maintain a long-term quality pipeline internally and externally.
- Portfolio Management: Manages a sizeable and complex book of business by analyzing the portfolio, identifying areas of opportunity for improved growth, profit and diversification, and executing marketing plans to increase Umbrella market share by collaborating with Primary Underwriters, making marketing calls to preferred brokers to market and cross market. Provides input to the development of marketing plans, product analysis, services, geographic focus and broker intelligence.
- Documenting the Deal: Documents files in a way that reflects a solid Umbrella thought process and decision making through comprehensive account reviews, sign-offs and referrals that comply with state regulations, letter of authority, and underwriting guidelines.
- Leadership: May have opportunity to guide, mentor, and coach Underwriters and Account Analysts in both technical and professional skills. Demonstrates multiple areas of expertise and provides regular updates to other underwriters.
- Continuous Improvement: Actively participates in continuous improvement by generating suggestions, participating in problem solving activities and using continuous improvement tools to support the work of the team.
- Bachelor's degree or advanced degree or equivalent
- 8-10 years overall underwriting experience.
- Requires advanced knowledge of underwriting concepts, practices, and procedures.
- At least 3-5 years experience Umbrella underwriting
- Strongly exhibit ability to effectively collaborate with Primary Underwriters, agents/brokers and internal business partners
- Expert desk and time management skills
- Ability to work effectively in a very fast-paced, multi-priority environment
- Problem-solving, positive mentality
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Strong negotiation, analytical, and decision making skills
- Demonstrated strategic and marketing capabilities
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a “Great Place to Work” by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the “100 Best Places to Work in IT” onIDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduates—as well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.