Underwriting Specialist, Government, Public Entity
A little about us
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a “Great Place to Work” by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduates—as well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
With an industry focus spanning over 40 years, our Public Entity division is continuing to grow its educational and governmental programs. We are currently looking for an experienced underwriter to join our Governmental Entities team. Our underwriters focus and build expertise in risk management for county, municipal and special purpose districts. With our niche industry focus and strategic partnerships, you will utilize your expertise in risk management to join our team of trusted advisors responsible for maintaining and growing a balanced, profitable book of business through effective underwriting decision-making, strong agency relationships and application of underwriting tools, systems, and guided resources. You will also lead by example and be a resource for your team members to have consults and mentorships that will elevate and build the collective knowledge of the team in your area of expertise.
- Proactively identify, foster and pursue mutually beneficial agent, broker and customer relationships.
- Pipeline target opportunities through key agent/broker relationships, market strategy and book analysis.
- Evaluate or assesses the business applying for insurance by qualifying accounts; identifying, selecting and assessing risks; resolving premium, policy terms and conditions; obtaining approvals; creating/presenting the proposal to the agent/broker and successfully negotiating deals.
- Demonstrate a high level of responsiveness and focus on supporting Agents and Brokers objectives through successful negotiations. Establishes and maintains the relationship through responsive service, site visits, in person renewal meetings or improved knowledge of their customers businesses.
- Lead a sizable and complex book by analyzing the portfolio, identifying areas of opportunity for improved growth, profit and diversification. Executing marketing plans to increase business with preferred brokers and accepting accountability for those results.
- Document files in a way that reflects a validated thought process and decision-making through comprehensive account reviews, sign-offs and referrals.
- Build both technical and professional skills through internal and external continuing education and demonstrating acquired knowledge through account reviews.
- Formally guide, mentor, and coach underwriters in both technical and professional skills. Demonstrate a specialized knowledge and provide regular updates to other underwriters.
- Actively participate in continuous improvement by fully engaging in daily huddles, generating suggestions, following appropriate procedures and work principles. You will participate in problem solving activities, and using continuous improvement tools to support the work of the team.
Advanced-level knowledge of insurance products/coverage, market segments and marketplace; insurance finance and actuarial concepts; loss control/risk engineering; marketing/selling techniques, regulatory environment and reinsurance; advanced-level knowledge of underwriting, pricing, risk selection, territory management. Ability to apply underwriting/appetite, tools, systems, and resources to achieve goals, solve complex problems; establish and build healthy working relationships and participate in mentorships. A related risk management & insurance bachelor's degree or 5+ years of commercial lines underwriting experience preferred; ARM, CPCU or relevant professional insurance designation preferred.