Underwriting Consultant, Excess Casualty, National Insurance
Advance Your Underwriting Career at Liberty Mutual Insurance- A Fortune 100 Company
Develops, grows, and maintains a profitable, diversified book of excess casualty business through effective underwriting decision making, mutually beneficial agent/brokers relationships, and application of underwriting tools, systems, and expert resources. The focus of this position is a balance of both extensive marketing and expert underwriting with attention to underwriting detail. The production goals will have a greater emphasis on excess casualty with some supported lead umbrella. The successful candidate will have well established broker relationships in the metro Philadelphia region.
- Risk Selection: evaluates or assesses the business applying for insurance by qualifying accounts; identifying, selecting and assessing risks; determining the premium, policy terms and conditions; obtaining approvals; creating/presenting the proposal to the agent/broker and successfully negotiating deals.
- Agent/Broker Relationships: Demonstrates a high level of responsiveness and focus on supporting Agents and Brokers objectives through successful negotiations. Develops and maintains the relationship through responsive service, site visits, in person renewal meetings or enhanced knowledge of their customers businesses. Manages broker relationship through extensive use of Salesforce.com to create broker plans, account target, track pipeline and collaborate with other Liberty Mutual segments.
- Portfolio Management: Manages a sizable and complex book of business by analyzing the portfolio, identifying areas of opportunity for improved growth, profit and diversification, and executing marketing plans to increase market share with preferred brokers.
- Documenting the Deal: Documents files in a way that reflects a solid thought process and decision making through comprehensive account reviews, sign-offs and referrals.
- Leadership: Formally guides, mentors, and coaches underwriters in both technical and professional skills. Demonstrates an area of expertise and provides regular updates to other underwriters.
- Continuous Improvement: Actively participates in continuous improvement by fully engaging in daily huddles, generating suggestions, following appropriate procedures and work principles, participating in problem solving activities, and using continuous improvement tools to support the work of the team.
Advanced-level knowledge of insurance products/coverage, market segments and marketplace; insurance finance and actuarial concepts; loss control/risk engineering; marketing/selling techniques, regulatory environment and reinsurance; advanced-level knowledge of underwriting, pricing, risk selection, territory management. Ability to apply underwriting/appetite, tools, systems, and resources to achieve goals, solve complex problems, establish and build healthy working relationships, lead mentoring relationships, and negotiate, as normally acquired and a related bachelors degree eight to ten years of commercial lines underwriting experience preferred; CPCU or professional insurance designation preferred
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession. We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more, please visit https://www.libertymutualgroup.com/about-lm/careers/benefits
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a “Great Place to Work” by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the “100 Best Places to Work in IT” on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list.
We have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduates—as well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.