Liberty Specialty Markets West, Risk Engineering Manager
As the LSM West Risk Engineering Manager, you will have management responsibility for a group of risk engineers in a region within entity or product line. The job holder is expected to provide leadership to ensure that the high standards of LIU risk engineering are promoted and maintained. In addition to above, the role is still required to provide technical support to Underwriting and Claims teams for assigned lines of business(s). This role performs the planning, organizing, analysis and evaluation of risks, regardless of complexity, both on a desk review basis and on-site risk engineering surveys to provide risk assessments to enable underwriters to make accurate and profitable underwriting decisions. Also provides risk analysis for claims mitigation
- Contribute to the development and review of global risk engineering strategy, and risk engineering policies and processes adapted to the regional business needs
- Contribute with Product Line Managers and Regional CUO in to portfolio control in terms of Realistic Disaster Scenarios and Nat Cat exposure to keep limits within LSM tolerance
- Partner with one or more lines of business, including attending meetings with underwriting management and inputting to decisions
- Contribute with Actuarial and Underwriting, with technical input to facilitate pricing and underwriting actions
- Undertake surveys and inspection programmes for the risk engineers within the team for all the lines of businesses being serviced
- Working independently, plan, organize and perform desk-based risk appraisals for assigned line/s of business to provide risk analysis information to underwriters, and conduct on-site risk engineering surveys for existing and prospective clients as required by the business; produce and share both summary and detailed risk survey reports.
- Oversee that portfolio key recommendations are met and ensure risk engineering information on file is up to date.
- Provide technical input on claims, including reviewing reports and site visits to identify areas for claims mitigation and recommendations for improvement
- Support with business development and marketing of the products within the line of business where possible
- Maintain strong working relationships with managers and leaders within Underwriting, Claims and other functions
- Maintain a strong understanding of external market developments and trends and make recommendations for how these could be factored in to policies and processes
- Line management of a team of Risk Engineering professionals; act as a point of escalation
- Bachelor of Science degree in a technical discipline, such as Chemical, Process, Electrical, Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- The job holder will be expected to possess at least 10 years' experience in relevant process industries and should have a background in at least one of the following areas in a managerial, technical or consultancy role; Operations, Maintenance, Process Engineering, Loss Prevention, Construction, Risk Management or Project Management.
- The job holder will be expected to possess at least seven years experience within the insurance sector in related lines of business(s).
- Demonstrated strong communication and listening skills in order to develop and maintain relationships with Underwriters, Risk Engineers, Claims teams, other LIU Staff and Clients.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and communicate important technically related information within the Risk Engineering, Underwriting and Claims groups.
- Demonstrated ability in advance level research, evaluation and analysis.
- Strong marketing skills to participate in new/renewal business development.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively use required software applications, such as Microsoft Office Suite. Should be able to create/modify documents and complex spreadsheets.
- Position requires regular travel.
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession. We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more, please visit https://www.libertymutualgroup.com/about-lm/careers/benefits
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a “Great Place to Work” by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the “100 Best Places to Work in IT” on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list.
We have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduates—as well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.