VP, Chief Underwriting Officer
About Canal Insurance
Canal Insurance Company specializes in insurance for commercial trucking and specialty transportation operations. Canal was founded in 1939 and is located in Greenville, South Carolina. At Canal, we recognize that our success would not be possible without the hard work and dedication of our employees. We know that happiness and productivity go hand in hand, and to that end, we consciously cultivate a culture that enables us to recruit and retain the very best talent in the business.
Vice President, Chief Underwriting Officer
Job Summary: The Vice President, Chief Underwriting Officer position is responsible for using a thorough knowledge of commercial insurance coverage, risk selection, pricing tools, and underwriting procedures and workflows to provide strategic and operational leadership to Canal’s underwriting operation.
- Drive Canal’s underwriting strategy and operating practices.
- Actively participate on senior team collectively managing operations, charting strategic course, and driving increased shareholder value.
- Effectively delegate underwriting authority and appropriately channel disciplined, competence-based decision making via the referral process
- Ensure profitable management of risk selection and pricing of risk for each underwriting portfolio.
- Oversee Underwriting operations units to ensure appropriate support is provided.
- Analyze Underwriting results at an appropriate level of detail to identify problems and opportunities.
- Mentor underwriting AVP direct reports on both technical underwriting matters and management development.
- Maintain and advance a performance environment that effectively recruits, develops, advances, retains and rewards members of the underwriting team
- Collaborate with Innovation, Product Management, Marketing, and Corporate Communication teams to design, incubate, launch and promote new Canal products and services
- Performs other duties as assigned by Management.
Education/Training Requirements: Bachelor’s degree required, Graduate level degree preferred.
- Minimum of ten years underwriting operations experience in property and casualty insurance required.
- Experience in Commercial Transportation or Trucking preferred.
- Minimum of seven years of management experience required.
- Advanced technical coverage knowledge and knowledge of risk selection, pricing, and policy issuance required. Advanced ability to analyze contracts and workflow required.
- Advanced understanding of business, claims, and accounting processes required.
- Advanced computer skills (word processing, spreadsheets, databases, Internet, E-mail) required.
Physical Requirements: Constant use of vision, hearing, and communication (oral and written in person and via telephone). Frequent concentration, standing, walking, handling, reaching, and grasping. Occasional bending, kneeling and lifting (up to 25 lbs.). Heavy use of computer and office equipment.
Additional Requirements: Travel will be required. Periodic work outside of standard business hours or on weekends may be required.