Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryUnder limited supervision, responsible for the production and retention of a profitable book of business within an assigned territory that is consistent with overall Bond and Specialty Insurance/Business Unit (BU) strategy and objectives. Primary responsibilities include: Underwriting new and renewal business Building and maintaining productive relationships with agents and brokers Consistently achieving superior budgeted financial results Collaborating with BU and region colleagues as well as internal/external business associates Sales, agency development and management Portfolio management at the BU strategy level The majority of the time will be spent managing a book of business Those in this role have the highest level of technical and sales expertise in the region/group and are seen as experts across the business unit (beyond region/group) This job does not manage others.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Underwriting & Pricing:
- Underwrites and assesses risk for large renewals and new business items in conjunction with BU strategies.
- Considers different approaches toward risks to maximize profitability.
- Makes appropriate decisions within own underwriting authority.
- Underwrites the most demanding and most complex accounts/risks.
- Manages the submission and underwriting process for own agency plant.
- Is a region/group resource for less experienced underwriters.
- Can easily articulate whether or not account is within or outside underwriting appetite/strategy, along with the reasons for that determination.
- Is seen as a teacher to less experienced underwriters regarding appetite/strategy.
- Independently sets account strategy, and may partner with MD to set strategy for the group/Regional BU.
- Makes recommendations to underwriter 2, as appropriate.
- As Underwriter 2, assure that policies and accounts are effectively underwritten handled and documented in compliance with Business Unit and regulatory standards and requirements.
- Calculates key ratios and the most complex financial metrics, drawing conclusions about the financial health of an account.
- In addition to, or in lieu of, financials, may review other key metrics; makes decisions regarding pricing, capacity, terms and conditions based on those analyses on the most complex accounts.
- Proactively collaborates with regional and Home Office underwriters.
- Maintains accurate underwriting documentation and information.
- Meets quality assurance standards.
- Is a region/group resident expert and is seen as a leader in the marketplace/agency plant. May be seen as an industry expert.
- Underwriting Operations:
- Manages flow of new and renewal business.
- Agency Management/Relationship:
- Leads agency training sessions. Is sought out by broker/agent for his/her expertise regarding industry and local issues.
- Primary agency or broker relationship is producer / internal broker.
- Sales Management/Marketing:
- Leverages agent/broker relationships to drive new business opportunities via existing relationships as well as where there is no existing relationship; continually prospects for new opportunities.
- Achieves and/or surpasses agency/broker visibility goals.
- Acts as a business partner to agents and brokers. Uses strong negotiation skills and deep product knowledge to meet the needs of the account.
- Develops agency plant sales/business plan and may partner with MD to develop region/group sales plan. Sales activities include the largest and most important.
- Leads underwriting/agency meetings.
- Actively contributes in Region and/or Business Unit sales meetings and may lead those meetings.
- Regularly attends agency/broker events and/or industry functions. May play a leading role.
- Takes the initiative to partner with colleagues in other Bond and Specialty Insurance or Travelers BUs to cross sell all Travelers products.
- Is seen as a leader by peers in other BUs.
- Coaches / me.
- A minimum of 4 years of underwriting experience is required.
- A current/valid drivers license is required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- 6 years of underwriting experience preferred.
- Bachelor degree preferred.
- Industry Knowledge:
- Understands industry business operations and work methods, critical business issues and financial drivers that affect the Company, BU, region and local office.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the local insurance marketplace and effectively uses that knowledge to Travelers advantage; continuously seeks out local market insight from others; is routinely sought out by others as a knowledge resource; coaches / mentors less experienced employees on a regular basis.
- Product Knowledge:
- Resident expert on BU products/coverages and pricing and the links to strategy. Is routinely sought out by others as a knowledge resource; coaches / mentors less experienced employees on a regular basis.
- Understands organizational and regulatory rules, policies and procedures and effectively employs that knowledge in day-to-day work.
Licensing or Certificates
- A current/valid drivers license is required.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Able to use all Bond and Specialty Insurance technology tools proficiently.
- Resolves significant conflict within and outside the organization without damaging relationships; is routinely sought out by others as a knowledge resource; coaching / mentors others regarding successful negotiations.
- Takes ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes, performance and results.
- Identifies current or future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesizes and compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Remains energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Demonstrates effective verbal, written and listening communication skills.
- Provides service excellence to internal or external clients.
- Exercises sound judgment, makes decisions and commits to a position.
- Works with and includes people from different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and views those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals and objectives.
- Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Works together in situations when actions are interdependent and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result.
- Takes ideas different from own seriously; shares responsibility and collaborates with others; accepts criticism well; doesn't assume a single best way.
- Has an accurate picture of strengths and weaknesses and is willing to improve.
- Seeks out experiences that may change perspective or provide an opportunity to learn new things.
- Provides good role model for employees and keeps a positive attitude.
- Acts in accordance with stated values; follows through on promises; uses ethical considerations to guide decisions and actions.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Operates standard office equipment.
- Requires extended periods of computer use.
- Requires extended periods of sitting.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.