Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryAre you committed to professional growth and exceptional client service? Imagine a career as a Travelers lawyer where you can be the best you. As a Counsel with Travelers you'll be responsible for high quality, proactive case handling and will have the opportunity to use your legal expertise and litigation skills to handle a caseload of predominantly low to moderate complexity and deliver optimal results for Travelers' insured customers. Travelers offers the strength of a national legal organization committed to your professional development while maintaining a local focus so you can be positioned as a strong legal advocate and valued business partner.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- (May include all or the majority but not limited to these components.)
- In the handling of a caseload of predominantly low to moderate complexity, your responsibilities will include:
- Develop and apply effective use of trial skills and techniques to litigate cases to verdict.
- Conduct legal research and demonstrate strong and persuasive legal writing and presentation skills.
- Supervise research projects delegated to Associate Counsel and paralegals.
- Draft pleadings, motions, briefs, discovery and other documents. Attend court events and other appointments independently.
- Learn and understand Claim and client expectations. Provide recommendations and case analysis to Claim and insured clients on appropriate file-handling strategies.
- Build and maintain strong internal and external client and business partner relationships.
- Effectively utilize support staff consistent with office protocols and best practices.
- Adhere to all best practices in file handling.
- Fully and effectively utilizes available technology, case management system and automation.
- Travel as required to meet business needs.
- Provide advice and training to Claim partners and clients.
- Juris Doctorate; graduate of an accredited law school.
- A minimum of one year of litigation practice or prior legal experience.
- Active license in good standing to practice law in the state(s) in which representation is required.
- Valid driver's license required depending on the location.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- 3+ years of prior litigation practice or prior legal experience
- Insurance litigation work exposure desirable.
- Developing a track record of trial skills and techniques.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Ability to clearly and succinctly articulate position.
- Ability to analyze legal issues with minimal supervision.
- Appreciation for, and commitment to, delivery of high-quality legal work.
- Works collaboratively with team members and others.
- Demonstrates legal acumen.
- Demonstrates personal commitment to professional development.
- Continued development of technical skills with a goal of handling the highest complexity/exposure Major Case Unit (MCU) cases.
- Strong research skills.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Decision making and problem solving abilities.
- Sense of urgency / responsiveness.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Travel Requirements: Travel Frequently
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.