Product Feature Engineering Manager
The world isnt standing still, and neither is Allstate. Were moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers evolving needs. Thats why now is an exciting time to join our team. As a leader in a corporation with 83,000 employees and agency force members, youll have a hand in transforming not only Allstate but a dynamic industry. Youll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
Youll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from lifes uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For 89 years weve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatevers coming next to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. Weve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We dont follow the trends. We set them.Job Description
CompoZed is an Allstate developed software delivery methodology with Agile Scrum at its epicenter. In this role, the CompoZed Software Engineering Manager serves as the leader of a product team. The product team leader ensures the software engineering team adheres to the principles of the CompoZed methodology while possessing a product mindset working within the product team.
This is a great opportunity to join Allstate's Product Management Ecosystem team and work on technology critical to core Allstate operations. The Software Engineering Manager ensures the software engineering team following 12-factor principles to build out products through continual enhancements through a full stack of software products; developing and implementing frontends (web or mobile), and backend services. This role will require 50% or more of an individuals time dedicated to hands-on software engineering tasks with the remainder of time spent in team management and oversight.Key Responsibilities
Engineering & Product Delivery
- Serve as the anchor of the team and provide technical leadership; guide the team in choosing the right designs, solve technical problems, integrating other members of the SCRUM team from other functional areas, and resolve conflicts between team members
- Possess the technical capabilities to quickly integrate with a CompoZed team and become familiar with the technical working environment and delivery responsibilities across various roles
- Lead the effort to architect and create the product in collaboration with architects and principal engineers
- Follow and establish best practices such as 12-factor principles, and use of open standards and technologies
- Own the product delivery responsibilities and be accountable for quality, performance and timely solution delivery
- Participate in agile software product activities such as planning sessions, backlog refinement or retrospectives as needed
- Collaborate with other teams to share best practices and ensure interoperability with other services and systems
- Ensure team members play an active role in the decision-making process
- Work with the DevOps team to establish continuous integration, delivery, and deployment pipelines and practices
People Management & Leadership
- Builds long-term relationships within team and amongst peers by creating an environment of safety and innovation
- Champions open and honest communication
- Respects confidentiality
- Leads by example with integrity
- Welcomes new ideas, learns from successes and failures
- Establish good working relationships with other teams while cultivating trust with other team leaders
- Possess an adaptive communication style specific to the audience and occasion
- Models and creates an environment of accountability for direct reports and peers
- Establishes vision, direction, and specific objectives for team efforts; allows freedom to accomplish objectives
- Ability to evaluate technical talent based on skills and leadership impact
- Executes HR-related processes and develops staff through coaching and mentoring and providing specific, timely, open and constructive performance feedback.
- Leads employees and influences peers through change by using ones self as an example.
- A college degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science or STEM field, including a solid understanding of Computer Science and Software Engineering fundamentals
- 8+ years of software engineering and 3+ years of people management experience in complex enterprise environments
- Experienced in work assignment and resource management within the context of a large software engineering project
- Solid communication skills across technical and management conversations
- Strong understanding and effective implementation experience of design patterns, data structures, data persistence, UI frameworks, software and object-oriented design principles along with creating architectural solutions to enable and enforce these principles during implementation
- Experience in developing software in different programming languages and across various paradigms with the ability to quickly understand how new concepts and approaches would impact the system architecture, existing delivery methodologies and operational excellence
- Solid understanding on agile development fundamentals along with key development and productivity tools associated with this methodology
- Please Update
The minimum salary for this position is $100,000. The salary offered will be commensurate with experience.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary but thats just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, youll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click here for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click here for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the EEO is the Law poster click here. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click here. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Companys policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employees ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.