Lead Data Engineer
The world isnt standing still, and neither is Allstate. Were moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers evolving needs. Thats why now is an exciting time to join our team. Youll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
Youll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from lifes uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For more than 89 years weve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatevers coming next to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. Weve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We dont follow the trends. We set them.Job Description
This role is responsible for the design of data engineering projects, pipeline & proof of concept business solutions for users in analytics and data science. This person works directly with business users, actuaries, data scientists, and analytic engineers on needs and tactical solutions. This role will execute new ETL work tracks for Data Science and analytics from inception and prototyping to fully developed solutions. This role reports into the Pricing organization.
- Work closely with Data Science and business partners to take defined Data Science and analytic data engineering needs and bring them from ideation to working pilots and deliverables.
- As team expert, provide direction to peers or AOR partners on technical solutions. Understand the changing analytic needs of users and Data Scientists and assists in the development of goals, and tracks of work to meet those needs.
- Partner on new ideas and initiatives, and executes rapid development of new data and analytic work tracks with fast iteration over quick sprints
- Leverage data analysis with technology fluency in parallel processing/programming, software/programming languages and (i.e. Oracle, SQL, Python, Spark, R, Object Storage, and Hadoop) paired with a high degree of analytic agility to meet fluid and dynamic business needs in this space
- Support and develop the data engineering pipelines required to support needs of predictive modeling and analytics. Support the environment; implement monitoring, quality and validation processes to ensure data accuracy.
- Development of enterprise data assets, information platforms or data spaces designed for exploring and understanding the data.
- Execute data exploration, data engineering, testing and implementation.
- Development of prototypes for business or research solutions and ensures prototypes meet the organization standards, so that business users may visually understand and explore a new feature or functionality, before implementation, to expose design assumptions and drive ideation.
- Develop test plans and scripts, preparation of test data, reconciliation of data sources, and execution of functional tests.
- Mentor and lead other team members in a business technical environment and creates/promotes an environment that supports innovation and process improvement.
- This job may have supervisory responsibilities.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- 8 or more years of related experience
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Proficient development experience in data projects and knowledge with ability to learn new database technologies
- Advanced engineering, data sourcing, and data management skills
- Advanced programming skills (i.e. Python, R, and SQL) with ability to learn new technologies
- Unix proficiency
- Ability to extract data and work with various data sources
- Ability to learn and teach new technologies
- Experience in designing and managing the nuances of an array of data sources
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to effectively collaborate with multi-disciplinary groups and all organizational levels
The minimum salary for this position is $103,000. The salary offered will be commensurate with experience. This position is bonus-eligible.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary but thats just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, youll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.For a full description of Allstates benefits, visit allstate.jobs/benefits/
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click here for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click here for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the EEO is the Law poster click here. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click here. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Companys policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employees ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.