PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The purpose of this job is to provide technical and administrative supervision for Accounts Payable and Regulatory personnel. This position exists to supervise and review operations of the Accounting teams to ensure that productivity and costs are aligned with Company standards.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Oversees Accounts Payable process.
- Develops guidelines for proper handling and coding of invoices to maintain general ledger expense account records.
- Analyzes expense reports and other invoices for accuracy and eligibility for payment.
- Assists in the implementation of new accounts payable software.
- Reconciles accounts payable, expenses, and general ledger with other applicable records.
- Oversees the collection of employer identification numbers or social security numbers from all vendors and the preparation and submission of 1099 forms.
Prepares, reviews, and analyzes financial statements and reports.
- Oversees compilation of data for the preparation of regularly scheduled and special Accounting reports.
- Prepares and reviews monthly account analysis of balance sheet accounts and develops adjusting entries as needed.
- Reviews status of all significant monthly accounts with management.
- Conducts financial statement analysis, identifies significant operational/financial variances, and determines and reports reasons for variances.
Interacts directly with Line of Business leaders.
- Serves as liaison for multiple various initiatives as they impact accounting.
- Oversees Model Audit Rule compliance in related areas of responsibility.
- Ensures that systems and procedures are in compliance with company policies, acceptable Accounting practices, and applicable regulations.
- Provides accounting assistance and information to Line of Business leaders.
Assesses and approves the output of subordinates within the Accounting team.
- Reviews posts and balances of general and subsidiary ledgers.
- Supervises and reviews account reconciliations and accounting analyses.
- Advises management on decisions for resolving department issues.
- Prepares applicable reports and interprets accounting results.
- Leads projects using effective project management techniques.
Develops and supervises a team of Accounting personnel.
- Provides daily direction to members of the Accounting team. Communicates Mission, Values, and other organization operating principles to direct reports.
- Establishes and maintains the overall work cadence and, in partnership with Department leadership, ensures performance and outcomes strive for excellence in delivery and customer experience. Ensures that the entire team is engaged and that leadership practices encourage development, recognition, and retention.
- Establishes and adheres to hiring criteria, on-boarding, and training requirements for incoming staff.
- Oversees the performance management and development process for the team and performs performance management duties, development planning and coaching for direct reports.
- Acts as a resource for team members to answer questions and solve complex problems.
- Manages budget, technology and other resources, workload, and customer requests for Department services. Ensures adherence to all Company policies and procedures and Compliance responsibilities.
- Ensures data quality, adherence to IT security guidelines, profitability and other risk-related metrics for self and members of the team.
Directly supervises two or more employees within the Accounting team and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with company policies and applicable laws. These responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; conducting performance and salary reviews; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems; coaching, mentoring, and developing team members to further their skills and knowledge; creating and monitoring development plans; setting performance expectations/goals; forecasting staffing needs and planning for peak times and absences; enforcing department policies and procedures.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university preferred with a major or emphasis in Accounting, Finance, or related field. Minimum 5-7 years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience required. Supervisory experience preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Working knowledge of accounting principles and practices as well as thorough knowledge of computer applications related to accounting and financial management systems. Broad, in-depth understanding of Accounting principles, concepts, operations, and practices of the business unit. Highly developed written, oral and presentation skills, and ability to effectively interact with management, employees, regulators, and external auditors. Demonstrated leadership competencies and ability to plan, coordinate, and supervise employees, and all aspects of the accounting systems. Advanced skills in Microsoft suite applications.
Office environment – no specific or unusual physical or environmental demands and employees are regularly required to sit, walk, stand, talk, and hear.
This position maps to the Supervisor level. Additional competencies required: Financial Acumen.
This position operates in an office environment and requires the frequent use of a computer, telephone, copier, and other standard office equipment.