Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Compile and analyze financial data from various sources to prepare accounting entries for the general ledger. Includes validating and importing interfaces from sources to the accounting system.
• Cash management monitoring of bank account balances to ensure balances are supportive for Plan needs. Includes an understanding of web based banking software and keeping abreast of new technologies.
• Required to use statutory concepts and GAAP/Statutory reporting requirements and ability to follow reporting procedures with minimal supervision.
• Prepare/review quarterly and annual audited GAAP and statutory financial statements and accompanying workpapers and footnotes for both internal and external users.
• Analyze financial information detailing assets, liabilities and capital.
• Prepare balance sheet reconciliations. Reconciliations include proper support to validate the balance in the general ledger account.
• Participate in departmental teams to achieve strategic initiatives.
• Apply accounting principles to prepare and analyze financial data and prepare quarterly and annual audited financial statements.
Bachelor's degree (BA/BS) from a four-year college or university majoring in Accounting preferred. Additional appropriate experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
3 to 5 years of accounting experience and knowledge of accounting principles and the ability to determine a course of action based on these principles. Statutory Accounting experience preferred.
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office productivity tools (e.g. Outlook, Word, Excel) to manage work. Advanced skills using MS Excel.
• Effective problem-solving skills, including ability to analyze issues, find the root cause of the problem, and consider a wide range of alternatives before acting.
• Demonstrate strong verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups or individuals.
• Ability to multi-task and demonstrate flexibility while maintaining attention to detail.
• Demonstrate excellent organizational skills.
• Ability to work independently and interact professionally and effectively in a team environment.
• Demonstrate excellent customer service skills by being able to follow directions and interpret customer needs.
• Knowledge of complex accounting software applications.
• Exposure to insurance industry and working knowledge of residual market mechanisms.