Reporting to either the Underwriting Manager or the Chief Underwriting Officer and operating within guidelines and authority established in the NIAC/ANI underwriting manual, the Senior Underwriter performs risk selection and pricing on endorsements, renewals, and new business. Reviews new business and renewal quotes prior to issuance. Makes marketing calls to members and brokers on an as needed basis. This position requires a great deal of creativity and latitude.
This position works out of the main office in Santa Cruz, CA or can be a remote, work from home position. Prior experience working remotely from a home office 100% of the time is required if the candidate works remote.
The Senior Underwriter’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assess and price all endorsements (beyond authority of underwriting assistant), renewals, and new business according to guidelines and authority as outlined in the underwriting manual. Lines of business to underwrite include general liability, auto liability and physical damage, improper sexual conduct, liquor liability, employee benefits liability, umbrella, property and crime, social service professional liability, and accident.
- Prepare the underwriting and rating work-up on all renewal and new business policies. Such work-up to include but is not limited to:
- Select and/or verify class code and premium base and rating exposure
- Calculate final premium including specialty charges (special events and additional insureds)
- Determine appropriate credits and/or debits to obtain a fair and sustained premium for risk
- Determine all coverage forms and necessary endorsements
- Effectively communicate to broker quote conditions
- Provide accurate documentation in the file and/or in electronic notes of underwriting thought process
- Ability to think outside of the box and develop solutions for our members that address their specific insurance needs
- A personal commitment to providing Inspired Service in every internal and external client engagement
- Provide customer service by responding promptly and courteously to all requests for information
- Ensure timely and accurate preparation and issuance of policies issuance. Effectively communicate company standards, mission, underwriting guidelines, and requirements to brokers and/or members.
- Provide accurate documentation in the file and/or in electronic notes of underwriting thought process.
- Order/review inspection reports to assess risk quality and to confirm exposure base accuracy.
- Actively manage assigned book of business. Responsible for achieving company renewal retention ratio goal and amount of new business written on a monthly basis in addition to company profitability goals.
- Actively manage relationships with assigned brokers, customers and members
- Ensure that information available from internal and external resources is properly integrated into underwriting decision making.
- Ensure that referral guidelines are properly followed regarding all lines of business underwritten.
- Any and all assignments related to the insurance operations department as requested by the director or vice president of insurance operations.
- Provides training and mentoring for other members of the Insurance Operations team when required
- Some travel required.
- Strong technical P&C underwriting knowledge and skills.
- Advanced knowledge of ISO commercial class codes and CLM rules, forms, rating and regulatory requirements.
- Advanced knowledge of NIAG polices and coverages and how they differ from competitor’s forms and coverages.
- Very strong knowledge of underwriting and pricing principles and the ability to use this knowledge to make underwriting and pricing decisions with little oversight
- Results-oriented, self-motivated problem solver with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Consistent customer service focus for members and brokers.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload with little supervision and efficiently make sound business decisions within level of authority.
- Capacity to manage multiple tasks in response to both written and verbal requests.
- PC literate. Basic to intermediate skills with Word, Outlook and Power Point. Intermediate skills in Excel.
- Should expect to assist with training and development of less experienced staff. This includes the ability to do formal and informal training sessions/classes.
- Candidate should possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, and sharp attention to detail. This includes strong documentation skills.
- Ability to collaborate with other staff members and external constituents.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to climb, stoop, bend, reach or sit for up to 3 hours at a time. The employee must occasionally lift/and or move up to 20lbs.
- Must have adequate vision (with corrective lenses if needed) to clearly view computer screen.
- Must have adequate hearing to perform job tasks.
- Minimum 8 years experience as an Underwriter in a multi-state and multi-line commercial insurance environment required.
- B.A. or B.S. degree in Business or Insurance strongly preferred (or directly-related equivalent experience required).
If you are interested in applying for a position, please submit your resume and a cover letter that tells us why you want to work for AMS, a member of the Nonprofits Insurance Alliance via our Career Page.