Mitsui Sumitomo Marine Management U.S.A., Inc. is one of the world’s top ten property/casualty insurance carriers with over 40,000 employees worldwide.
Summary: Is responsible for the preparation, creation and maintenance of Property and Casualty products for filing and or dispersal to the field as assigned, including obtaining legal approval; maintenance or creation of underwriting guidelines and memorandum providing direction to the field; and, assisting and participating in field technical and compliance training.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Follow instructions from senior department members and draft policy forms, adjust as necessary, and obtain approval from legal, and submit with necessary support to state filings unit.
- Follow instructions from senior department members and draft form and rate rules for incorporation into the company’s state filing manual.
- Participate in rate and rule review in order to aid and speed the decision making process for both the field and management.
- Review, analyze and evaluate ISO, AAIS, NCCI and other rate and form bureaus and suppliers program and rate and rule revisions, in order to aid the planning/decision process, and assist in the development of various disclosures and/or company responses necessary for State Conformance/Compliance and implementation.
- Updates, rewrites, removes or writes underwriting and related information on the company’s website, including underwriting guidelines for rating, forms, procedural and authority issues, as well as other instructional/directional material, as assigned.
- Acts as home office underwriting resource for field offices with respect to technical underwriting issues. Assists in researching and documenting legal and other company issues that impact the Underwriting area.
- Assist in the creation, delivery or coordination of internal or external training programs to develop underwriting and operations employees, or agency/broker employees, and to ensure appropriate compliance with underwriting guidelines, as identified and assigned.
- Monitor and prioritize regulatory and conformance workload according to department guidelines. Assist management by coordinating projects to ensure target completion dates are met. Coordinate and implement U/W technical training and/or develop training materials, when appropriate. Coordinate special National Underwriting Department projects with others both within and outside the department, when appropriate, that are outside of the normal day-to-day assignments.
- Review regulatory publications to keep apprised of new regulatory developments, and evaluate, respond to and implement as required in conjunction with management.
- Assist management in the underwriting audit process as required.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from a four-year college or university is preferred. High School Diploma or GED is required. 3+ years underwriting experience, preferably multi-line, in an admitted standard lines environment preferred. Previous experience in product development, is beneficial, but not required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Internet software; and Microsoft Office Suite of Products including Excel Spreadsheet software; MS Word and PowerPoint software.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
CPCU or CIC is helpful.
Other Skills and Abilities
Must have the ability to travel up to 10% of the time on all forms of transportation.
The Company is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Warren, New Jersey
Competitive Salary and Bonus