Middle Market Underwriting Specialist | Western Territory
The Commercial Line Middle Market Team within IAT Insurance Group has an immediate need for an Underwriter with significant middle-market underwriting and production experience. This role will be tasked with significant and unique issues where analysis of situations or data requires an evaluation of intangibles. The role can work from any IAT locations across the Western United States or remote for the right candidate.
Exercises independent judgment in methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. Will be responsible for Individual risk evaluation, selection, terms, coverage, and pricing in a timely manner to produce profitable underwriting results while maintaining a constant positive image in the peer marketplace. The primary responsibilities are below.
- Underwrite and produce profitable business within the authority granted and consistent with company goals
- Maintain agency relationships, develop a new relationship and recognize without bias any need to cease a relationship and contribute where possible to the amicable accomplishment, as necessary
- Use any outside sources, including personal experiences, personal contacts, media & the internet to enhance knowledge of specific or general underwriting challenges
- Coaches and mentors junior team members. Builds and conducts training modules.
- Participates in the book of business analysis and base rate decisions. Attends and participates in key industry associations. Works on significant and unique issues that impact the entire book of business. Provides guidance and mentorship for project work. Lead and champion BU specific and enterprise-wide project initiatives.
- Effectively express information and ideas clearly through spoken, written, and electronic means
- Provide positive contribution and involvement in internal as well as external meetings and listen attentively
- Use proper channels/methods to raise issues or address conflict and/or review and recommend policy language changes
- Effectively communicate within the department and interact with internal department
- Customer Service:
- Provide prompt & courteous responses to both internal & external customers;
- Represent the company in the most positive manner
- Attain & maintain respectful relationships
- Be proactive in looking for ways to make continual positive improvements
- Contract with the Department of Insurance (DOI) Personnel, create or review rating materials for accuracy, reply to DOI complaints and Marketing Conduct requests
- Effectively support form review and procedures with DocuCorp maintenance and service internally
- May Conduct annual customer stewardship meetings with key accounts. Handles largest, most complex agents. Conducts annual planning meetings with assigned agents. Conducts quarterly stewardship meetings with key agents. May train others. Underwrites a large book of business. Collaborates with supervisor or others on unusual cases. The risk profile is complex. Participates in and/or leads project team in both technical and design work. Projects may be BU specific or enterprise-wide.
- Focus on Goals
- Set personal goals in alignment with department and company goal;
- Maintain work organization to achieve goals
- Address obstacles that may impede any goal
- Focus on quality as well as quantity.
- Use company reports/information to develop or monitor goals and any necessary adjustments
- Develop additional reports as may be necessary.
- Initiative and Problem Solving
- Anticipate & identify potential problems, gather facts and analyze causes, evaluate alternative solutions and either take action or recommend action to proper level;
- Monitor trends and identify the need for new or revised underwriting policies, procedures, and practices
- Be continually cognoscente of the need for innovation to accomplish goals, improve procedures, and/or save costs
- Personal accountability for self –development.
- College degree or equivalent experience
4 years in the Insurance Industry is considered equivalent experience to a degree
- 8+ years of underwriting experience with an emphasis on Casualty lines
- 3+ years of Excess and Surplus preferred
- Completed Course work for designations in CPCU, CIC, AU, ARM, CPIW, CWIS, or ASLI is preferred
- Must have a comprehensive command of all facets of the casualty business lines to facilitate the profitable risk evaluation, selection, terms, coverage, pricing, and production
- Must have the ability to react and respond quickly and professionally
- Must provide creative, analytical, and innovative thinking to inure to productive problem solving;
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must have the ability to exercise a high degree of judgment
- To qualify, all applicants must be authorized to work in the United States and must not require now, or in the future, VISA sponsorship for employment purposes
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and participate in E-Verify.
To be formally considered one must apply online through the IAT Career Site
Steve Morley | Senior Recruiter