IAT has an immediate opening for an underwriter to join our Moving & Storage Underwriting team. This role will be tasked with risk evaluation, selection, and pricing in a timely manner to produce underwriting while maintaining a positive image in the peer marketplace.
The ideal candidate will have P&C risk experience as well as experience managing and growing a book focused on Moving & Storage or small business or transportation or inland marine or like line of business.
- Evaluates information to determine risk acceptability in accordance with company guidelines.
- Makes appropriate decisions based on evaluation of underwriting information.
- Prices risks per company standards.
- Effectively communicates and negotiates underwriting and pricing decisions to achieve optimal outcomes.
- Documents decisions in accordance with regulatory standards.
- Acts with a sense of urgency on all inquiries/requests.
- Provides outstanding customer service.
- Builds effective working relationships with assigned agency personnel as well as internal company staff.
- Drives acceptable levels of new business opportunities through effective marketing to assigned agents.
- Effectively communicates with assigned agents the appropriate level of information to ensure understanding of company direction.
- Completes file audits within company guidelines to ensure compliance to underwriting and pricing standards where agents are delegated underwriting authority.
- Attends agency conferences and conducts seminars and breakout sessions.
- Participates and leads special projects as assigned.
- Handles moderate number of agency assignments.
- Participates in annual planning meetings with assigned agents.
- Participates in quarterly stewardship meetings with key agents.
- Participates in annual customer stewardship meetings.
- Underwrites a moderate book of business with a moderate to complex risk profile.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree is required
- Equivalent experience is defined as a minimum of 4 or more years of commercial insurance underwriting related experience.
- Master's degree preferred.
- At least 5 or more years of commercial insurance underwriting or related.
- Experience specializing in underwriting of moving and storage is preferred.
- Experience writing in the following lines of business is preferred: Commercial Auto,
- General Liability, Inland Marine, Property, Crime, Umbrella, and Worker's Comp.
- Thorough knowledge of the insurance industry.
- Excellent knowledge and application of negotiation technics to day-to-day interactions with agents and customers to achieve optimal outcomes.
- Excellent knowledge of pricing technics to achieve company objectives.
- Excellent knowledge of complex coverage features such as large deductibles and their impact on coverage and pricing.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent MS Office computer skills.
- Ability to appropriately utilize loss control to minimize risk to the company.
- Ability to understand reinsurance and company's approach.
- Ability to make appropriate underwriting decisions for risks within a limited range of context and situations.
- Ability to understand loss development and advanced loss analysis concepts in underwriting and pricing risks.
- Ability to make individual account decisions that maximize the performance of the entire portfolio.
- 10% Travel Required.
- To qualify, all applicants must be authorized to work in the United States and must not
- require, now or in the future, VISA sponsorship for employment purposes.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and participate in E-Verify.
To be formally considered one must apply online through the IAT Career Site
Steve Morley | Senior Recruiter