Donegal Insurance Group is a regional property-casualty insurance company doing business in 26 states, headquartered in Marietta, PA, with 8 regional offices located in Athens, GA, Duluth, GA, Le Mars, IA, Grand Rapids, MI, Albuquerque, NM, Greenville, OH, Glen Allen, VA, and Sheboygan Falls, WI.
Donegal offers a broad range of personal and commercial insurance products sold exclusively through our network of independent agents. We are committed to the independent agency system and proud of the company's heritage, which spans over 130 years. Donegal's strong financial foundation and successful operating strategies have earned the company a rating of 'A' (Excellent) by the A.M. Best Company, the nation's leading insurance rating organization.
Donegal Insurance Group has an opening for a Production Underwriter in the state of North Carolina. The preferred candidates will live in the Western North Carolina area. The Production Underwriter will play a key role in generating new commercial lines business opportunities within a given territory.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Develop strong business relationships with key agents and provide underwriting guidance to the agents.
- Select, price and develop coverage terms for commercial lines accounts to achieve profitable underwriting results and assist with providing leadership, support, and coaching for the underwriting function
- Manage a territory of independent agents to ensure that profitability and growth objectives for the company are being met
- Review new business applications to evaluate the degree of risk involved
- Accept or decline risks based on the company's underwriting policies
- Review application for completeness
- Contact agents for missing or incomplete information
- Maintain a profitable book of business within assigned levels of authority by using sound underwriting judgment and technical skills, and continued personal development to meet the company goals of quality and timeliness
- Interpret insurance coverage's for agents and insureds
- Maintain and establish a good working relationship with agents and communicate underwriting decisions to agents and insureds
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor's Degree with a background in insurance or equivalent experience
- 8 years of underwriting and marketing experience at a company or agency level with a minimum of 5 years of underwriting experience should be in the commercial lines sector of insurance
- Demonstration of self-development through the attainment of professional insurance designations, CPCU, ARM, PLU, etc.
- Ability to create business opportunities by demonstrating excellent underwriting skills and product knowledge. Must possess a value-added service mentality
- The expectation is this employee will travel 2 to 3 days per week to visit agents in the designated territory.
- The preferred candidate will have a working knowledge of the Western NC territory and established Property/Casualty agency relationship.
Donegal Insurance Group offers a comprehensive benefits package for all full-time, permanent positions. Learn more about our benefit offerings by visiting our Benefits page.