Finance - Assistant Controller
Reporting to the Controller, the Assistant Controller assists in the day to day operations of the Accounting Department. He/She is responsible for the related staff performance and the accomplishment of departmental responsibilities in accordance with Department Policies and Procedures to meet company and regulatory requirements.
This individual will assist the Controller in coordinating and managing the General Ledger and in the supervision of General Accounting, Accounts Payable, and Fixed Assets.
The Assistant Controller will participate in the Budget Process, gather information required and facilitate department reporting and variance analysis.
He/She provides direction to accounts payable and other staff accounting as required to ensure position goals are met. They will evaluate and counsel staff as necessary to insure they are knowledgeable of their position goals and responsibilities and that these goals and responsibilities are put into motion on a continuous and consistent basis.
- Coordinates and trains accounting staff, ensuring transactions are processed in a timely manner in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Ensures all monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting requirements and deadlines are met to the Region and Corporate Office. Works closely with Agency Leadership to manage profit and growth of agency.
- Participates in preparation of annual budget.
- Responsible for ensuring the accuracy of the monthly financial statements, including (1) the reconciliation of subsidiary ledgers or account support documents to the general ledger (2) the identification and explanation of actual vs. budget revenue or expense fluctuations (3) the preparation and accuracy of various financial management related reports.
- Maintains the Agency management system from an accounting perspective.
- Manages vendor and carrier payables to within the respective timelines required.
- Assists in the development and implementation of goals, priorities, policies and procedures relating to the accounting department.
- Directs the maintenance of accounting records to document receipts and expenditures.
- Responsible for maintaining and identifying improvements to improve the overall internal control environment to assist in preventing and detecting errors from occurring, safeguarding the Agency’s assets.
Competencies and Qualifications
An ideal candidate will have:
- BA or BS degree in accounting or a related field is highly desirable.
- Prior experience in working with multiple agencies in a high volume, fast paced environment.
- Minimum 5 years related experience in general accounting.
- Familiarity with the accepted accounting practices involved in monitoring financial systems and resolving complex accounts. Capable knowledge of accounting procedures and practices.
- Competent interpersonal, analytical, problem solving, troubleshooting and organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple, high priority projects with attention to detail.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to interface with all levels in the organization and external parties.
- Proficient in MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Access
- Working knowledge of Great Plains Dynamics, Benefit Point, ASM360 and Oracle preferred